Friday, June 27, 2008

WRONG CHOICE? I HOPE NOT.......

remember how i used to hate working at the craft store??  well, as in all jobs, i have started wondering if i made the right choice to change jobs.  of course, i really do know i did the right thing.............but after the last few days at work, i do have to stop and wonder.

one of my co-workers thinks she should be "manager", even though we don't have a manager.  she has griped and complained over and over that she is the most qualified person there to "run the store".  there is a director and an assistant director and the rest of the employees are more or less equal......they are either cashiers or warehouse workers and usually have to do both. 

over the past week this person has been either leaving work early saying she isn't feeling well, or calls in sick.  then she comes in yesterday and more or less demands that the director make her manager or she will quit.  well, since my boss is so easy going, he told her he would make her "in charge" of the community service workers.  well, most of the community service workers don't like her anyway.  so when they found this out, they all started leaving early, except for one lone guy that is a super nice fellow. 

not only is there a problem with the cs workers and this person, but the woman i had the problems with who threatened and cursed at me, felt she had more seniority and she should have been made assigned the cs workers.  she left early as well.  sigh.

in the midst of all this, i wasn't able to take my breaks without pleading with a co-worker to relieve me.  so, there was some anger and hurt feelings over my taking the breaks that i am entitled to as stated in my job description.  i went in my boss's office this morning and had a long talk to him about this break problem.  he told me he was really sorry it happened, and if no one would relieve me for my breaks, to please come see him and he would be glad to give me my break and relieve me himself.  i had a little cry in his office and he talked to me about how he really did like me and wanted me to be happy, but he was dealing with others that were demanding things from him and i sort of got pushed to the wayside.  i felt better afterwards.  of course, in a few days, all will be forgotten and i will have to beg and plead for my breaks again.............sigh.  i guess i should be really thankful i have a job, and one where the head cashier, the director, and the assistant director think the world of me..............

i shouldn't question things, but i am getting pretty good wifi service tonight.  i just hope it continues so that i can enter this entry.

i wanted to get back up on my soapbox for a few minutes.........

i was reading paula's journal (PAULINE'S COUNTRY TALES AND OTHER THANGS) and she had an entry about cell phone usage in public places.  that is one of my biggest pet peeves.  i hate the new blu tooth technology where you plug an almost invisible earpiece and the people walk around talking into their own ear while walking toward you and looking at you.  i have often asked someone what they said, or looked at them inquisitively, wondering if they were talking to me.  and those stupid 2 way radio features.....grrrrrrrrrrrr.......all that squawking and beeping and loud talking........geeze people........now i understand on a construction site or something of that nature, but in a restaurant while you are trying to enjoy a nice quiet meal or some romantic conversation???? 

i had a woman today in the store that looked like a sweet, grandmotherly type.  in fact, she didn't even look like a cell phone type.  i had gotten a little ill over a woman earlier walking around using the 2 way radio feature, and even this "grandmotherly" woman was looking at her as if she was a nuisance.  then suddenly there is a ring tone......and miss grandmother of the year answers her phone at the top of her voice and continues to shop throughout the store for over an hour, talking to a loved one at the top of her voice, letting the whole world hear her personal conversation and not even appearing to realize it.  is this the wave of the future???  i hope not.

<<<steps down off her soapbox>>>

i wanted to mention that jeannette over at JEANNETTE'S JOTTINGS announced recently that she is one year cancer free...........congratulations jeannettei will be with you through the next year and beyond as your journey continues.

well, i better try to save this entry. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cell phone thing is one of my pet peeves.  I've been known to answer thinking that they're just talking to me.  Embarrassing.  Not having read Pauline's entry, it's funny I made an example of it in my latest post.

Your work place has some unusual drama in it and I am glad to hear that you are thought so highly of.  It sounds like that one woman thinks too highly of herself.  PRide goes before the fall.  A person who takes off and leaves early is no leader.  True leaders lead by example.

I'm on to read what all I've missed.  Seems I didn't get this alert so I'll set them again again.

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Prayingandbelieving/

Anonymous said...

It is such a shame to have such disharmony at work...it dosn't make for a happy workplace.  especially when you like the work, and don't want to leave, and why should you.  The only thing you can do ..and it is hard... is to try and just ignore all that is going on around you..take no sides...cause as sure as eggs  are eggs the side you side with today will be the ones that are at war next Lol...try to just shake your head at there childish antics...you just do your job quietly and you can be sure in yourself that you are doing the right thing and your boss notices...You can always just listen into others phone conversations and make up your replies...I di dthat once and found myslef laughing at myself !! ..I know I am mad !!   !!!Love  Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

I was a printer in my last job, the only one to a family owned business. The family was my ex-husbands. I worked for them for over 14 years. I was underpaid and overworked. I had to do the same thing, practically beg for my breaks. Don't let these people walk all over you hon. Your one of the good ones, you work whenever needed, your on time and work your full shift. The woman who is pushy and thinks she deserves so much is most certainly not a good example of work ethnics leaving early and coming in late. As for the cell phones...nothing irks me more than seeing a couple on a date and one of them talking on a phone while the other looks on bored. My reaction would be, if your on a date with me pay attention to me. If that was too much to ask, the other person wouldn't be missed. (Hugs)Indigo