Tuesday, November 27, 2007

RAW TURKEY DAY

let me start by saying i was very appreciative that my housemate fixed most of the thanksgiving dinner.  i provided the homemade mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, table settings with seasonal tableware and cloth, and offered iced tea, but she made her own.

as we sat down to eat, i realized that my leg meat was a bit chewy.  she later told me that i had taken "her" thigh meat, but either way, it wasn't done.  i went back and got some breast meat, since it appeared to be done. i asked her if the pop up timer popped up, and she said it did after she took the turkey out of the oven..........sheeeeesh.  rule of thumb.........always cook the turkey at least 30 minutes AFTER the pop up timer pops up.  the poor little turkey wasn't even browned to a rich golden perfection.  there was a smudge of amber at the very top of the breast, but everything else was anoemic.  she gave me the two legs and half the breast to carry back with me and i cooked it in the oven another 30 minutes before we ate it for supper.  but we had a good time together and enjoyed conversation and the rest of the food was fantastic. 

since i am working 2 jobs now, i stay tired alot and don't get here that often to make entries.  so let me tell you about my sunday.  my assistant manager gave me my schedule for last sunday on the previous friday.  he said it was for 11 am to 4:30 pm.  that would mean i didn't have to close, and could get home early enough to see my favorite show, the amazing race.  i got up on sunday, cold and shivering from the low outside temps, and showered, dressed and went to the jobsite at 10:30 am.  my general manager met me at the front door asking me why i was there so early.  i told him the assistant manager told me i was to be there at 11 am.  he started shaking his head and said that that was the wrong schedule.  i was supposed to be there at 3:30 pm till closing.  so.............he told me that he was sorry that happened, but he couldn't let me stay, and for me to come back at 3:30 pm.  then he said he would buy my lunch one day during the week to compensate me for coming in early.  i went back home and back to bed for a couple of hours, then came back and worked my shift.

well, i  am off from both jobs today, doing my errands, so i told my manager last night when we worked together, that i would like my "free lunch" today.  so he told me to come by the store and i did.  he gave me $10 to each lunch on..........woo hoo!!  i will eat at subway for under $5 and put $5 of gas in my car.  well worth the inconvenience that sunday. 

i still haven't put up my christmas tree.  it is already decorated, i just have to put the angel on top and plug it all in.  i don't have many decorations for the rest of the house due to people breaking into my storage shed behind the house where i used to live, and stealing all my decorations, even the ones my daughter made when she was a child.

speaking of my daughter..........i texted her thanksgiving day and wished her a happy thanksgiving...........no word back from her..........sigh.............kids.........they can break your heart over and over..................i do love her so.

well, better scoot.  haven't eaten yet, and subway is calling my name....................

HAVE A GREAT WEEK........................

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness what an episode with the turkey !!  It sure has to be well cooked...we are always being told to make sure poultry is over rather than undercooked.  Glad you did your a bit more.   It is good that your two jobs are going well.  Mind and try to take plenty rest inbetween times.  Love  Sybilx

http://journals.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife

Anonymous said...

i must giggle i cheated i had someone else cook
and it was not turkey
but i must say i slept most the day and enjoyed
it was an actual vacation
now i must ready myself and go back to work on my own silly journal
it has been far to long since i spoke
have fun it is great your still here this year
as always a friend

Anonymous said...

Pleased you had a nice turkey day, even if it was half-boiled.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like undercooked poultry to really mess your insides up.  I'm glad that you caught it in time to finish cooking it.  Other than that, sounds like you had a nice time with your roomate, so I guess things are slowly getting better between you guys?  Sorry to hear that your daughter is still giving you the cold shoulder.  Don't give up on her, she will come around eventually.

Greg

Anonymous said...

I probably would have passed on the undercooked turkey and enjoyed the rest. That $10.00 was a blessing to you. Paula

Anonymous said...

Nothing worse than undercooked turkey.  
Lori