Thursday, November 1, 2007

A GOBLIN FILLED HALLOWEEN

first, i would like to say thank you to my readers for sticking with me.  your comments are always welcomed, and they make me feel good.

second, my halloween was a success.  i was off on tuesday and wednesday, so i started decorating on tuesday morning.  i had purchased a piece of foamboard at my workplace and painted a sign letting trick or treaters know i was open for business on halloween night.  like i have done my yard sale signs in the past, i taped the sign to the bottom of the mailbox.  i secured it well with duct tape and went on about my business.  i ran a few errands and upon my return, i noticed my sign was gone.  it had been ripped from the mailbox with force, since there was residual duct tape with pieces of the sign still attached.  i was very upset, but then figured it was the mailman/woman.  i remember from my one time delivering phone books that you are not supposed to place anything within so many feet of a mailbox that hasn't been postage paid.  so i figured my mailperson had taken the sign.  but they never took my yardsale signs off the box nor do they pull those stupid flyers stuck in the flag or mouth of the box, and neither of those have had postage paid. 

so i got a box, cut out a piece of cardboard, painted it black, and redid my sign in orange on the black background, and attached it to my fence, more than 10 feet from the mailbox.  it remained intact..........sigh.

i don't have my pictures with me today, since i was too lazy to upload them onto my flashdrive last night (actually,too tired), but my front porch looked really great.  i had skulls, one that had mist coming from it, with red eye sockets.  i had ghosts, bats, fingers and eyeballs...........and of course the grim reaper........who looked real.  good gory fun.  the kids loved it.  well, all except one........i had a young boy about 12-14 come up and was looking at all the stuff on the porch, standing next to the grim reaper, who had a scythe dripping blood, and when i stepped out into the group from the shadows, i thought he was going to wet his britches.  he held his chest and kept saying "oh my gosh, oh my gosh........"  it was so much fun.............i had two plates with napkins out on my table.  in one plate there was a couple of eyeballs with blood on them.  on the other plate there was a severed finger with blood sauce.  when the kids came up i would ask them what they wanted.  if they just said "candy" i would tell them that if they didn't say the magic words, i would cut off a finger to feed to the next child that came.  suddenly the kids started saying "trick or treat", lol.  the parents were really into it as well.  one father was with his 2 young girls, around 5 and 7, and he was showing them all the ghoulish stuff on the table, really getting into the spirit of things.  only one child wouldn't come anywhere near me or the candy.  i even told him to get the candy himself from the bucket, but he wasn't going to have any part of it.

there were several groups at a time that came from the "trunk or treat" from the church across the street.  most were small children 5 and up, but there were several groups of older kids, maybe 12-16.  but it was truly fun..........and i have tons of candy left over.  i am making a bag for my co-workers and one bag for my housemate's grandson, even though he did go trick or treating earlier in the week.  i bought the good stuff.....hershey's kisses with cordial cherry juice inside.......kit kat........reese's mini cups, assorted body parts (flavored gummies) and chocolate truffle eyeballs, etc.  my housemate was sick, but she contributed some butterscotch candy (which i love) and peppermint candy. 

speaking of the roomie, i finally had the opportunity to confront her about not speaking to me sooner about my arm or even thanking me.  but i didn't handle it properly.  i had allowed my feelings to go from hurt at her not asking how i was, to anger.  so when she came home from work on tuesday to have lunch, i jumped her.  so later on that day when  she came home, i sat her down and apologized for attacking her like i did, and told her how i felt, calmly.  she claims she DID thank me, and that she had no clue i was hurt.  sigh.............she is more naive and childlike than i first imagined.  but we "made up" and she and her grandson carved a pumpkin to put out on the front step with my ghoulies

i did think it funny though that when she first came upstairs yesterday to pay me the remainder of my money from when i worked for her, she was sick as a dog.  she had caught something from a co-worker.  when i was putting out my halloween stuff, she stuck her head out and moaned and groaned about being sick.  but after i had it all out and was dressed up (i looked hideously scary) and ready for the trick or treaters, she was all out there in the middle of it.  she even went across the street to the church to see if they were serving food of any kind.  she finally went back in and closed her door.  then the kids started coming and she was all excited again.  so much for being sick, huh?

ever since i had my dental work done i have had a toothache come and go.  it isn't the tooth they fixed on the left bottom, but the one next to it, that has a crown.  not sure if the dentist stirred up the nerve or if there is some problems with the tooth under the crown.  i was getting food trapped under there before the dental work was done on the other tooth.  oh well, i have my ibuprofen.

the arm has its good and bad days as well.  i have discovered that my elavil, taken for my neuropathy, does well in relieving the pain in my arm as well.  so i guess i need more of that wonder drug, lol.

well, i have to get home and get my halloween decorations down and into my room.  so i better scoot. 

have a great weekend.......................i will be working................

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you has such fun last night.  It was very quiet here. I didn't see one child or adult.  Mind you I was in town yesterday....  Bath...  and I did see that the shops had more halloween things in them than I have ever seen. So perhaps we are trying to catch up with you all.   Hope you have a good weekend.  Love Sybil x

Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing the pictures.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you had such a nice Halloween.

Anonymous said...

wow bet those kids loved you. You gave the good stuff. Glad it was a fun time for you. Paula

Anonymous said...

Yours sounds like the most fun house.  The roomie sounds a bit immature and insecure as well.  Hope your arm feels better soon.

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PrayingandBelieving/