Monday, October 4, 2004

THE ROOMMATE

I TRIED THIS ONCE BEFORE, AND AOL ATE MY COPY........ SO........I AM GONNA TRY IT AGAIN, AND SAVE MY COPY EVERY FEW MINUTES, SO I DON'T HAVE TO REWRITE IT AGAIN.............AT LEAST NOT ALL OF IT.    

for those who have sorta followed my story, you know i have been going through some hard times, financially and emotionally.  i lost my home in march, and have had difficulty paying the rent where i live now.  when i moved into this rental house, i was under the impression i would have a roommate in a couple of months.  that was 4 months ago.  the lady who was going to room with me, along with her daughter, said she wasn't able to do so yet.  this woman is not a stranger, but not a close friend either.  i met her at a local restaurant i used to frequent.  she was a waitress there.  when i first met her, she was living with her mother and stepfather, as well as her two children, a 19 year old son and a 7 year old daughter.  she is 36 and divorced.  we talked alot when i would go to the restaurant and became sorta friends.  then later, when things started going bad for me financially, i stopped going there.  she would call me from work and say hello, and then gripe about her boss, the owner of the restaurant, who actually is a friend of mine.  but i agreed with her, lol.     

this woman called me one day and asked if she could someday soon room with me, and bring her daughter.  i told her that was a good idea, but i had to have a roomie within the 2nd month after i moved.  she said ok, she would see what she could do.    

now a bit of background on this woman.  she almost lost her home awhile back, so moved in with her mother and stepfather to save some money so she could get back on her feet.  well, this mother of hers must have not wanted that to happen, because she charged her $800 a month for a room in her house.  of course, she had bathroom rights and i am sure kitchen rights.  i had told her i would charge her $450 for her and her daughter.  but she remained at her mom's because of day care expenses.     

by this time i was hurting badly financially, and was served eviction papers.  i worked out a deal with the landlord and remained in the rental house.  i called my friend and begged her to reconsider moving in with me, i needed some help.  she told me it just wasn't possible right then.  so, i continued to suffer financially, and received another eviction notice a week ago.  i was gearing up to move again........but didn't know where.    

thursday, i was off, so was sleeping in.  i had been online and on the phone with a friend from las vegas till around 7:30 am, so didn't actually get to sleep till around 8 am.  at 10:30 am, my door bell started ringing incessantly, and i drug my butt to the door, hair sticking up all over my head, eyes swollen shut from lack of sleep, and wearing a ratty gown.  when i opened the door, it was my friend.  she had a bag of clothing in her hand and was crying............and asked if she could stay a couple of days.  i sat her down and found out what happened.  seems her mother went off the deep end, following her around the house, telling her she couldn't read her books or watch tv in her house.  and then followed her into her room and sat and stared at her for 30 minutes.  and then told her she wasn't allowed to leave the house except to go to work, and she would have to call her when she got there and before she left there to come home.  now, this is a 36 year old woman we are talking about.  i understand that at any age, if you move back home, you abide by the house rules.  but come on.........this is ridiculous.  so........they got into a big fight, and the mother threw her out.  she had nowhere to go, and knew i wanted a roomie, so she came here.  she had been so good to carry me around and to work when i didn't have my car (even though i gave her gas money), i just couldn't say no.  so, figuring this was a Godsend, i said ok, you can stay.  i knew we could discuss ground rules and money later.  i wanted her to get through the first couple of days, and get sorta settled first.    

ok, anyone knows it is difficult to live with someone you know little about.  i knew it was going to be tough learning to cohabitate with someone after living alone for the last two years.  well, alone with my two cats.  i first found myself trying to be a good "hostess".  i would cater to her needs for food by cooking meals (which i don't always do for myself) and for daily needs, i.e. towels, washcloths, soap, etc.  i didn't have any extra toothbrushes, so figured she would buy her one the next day.  instead, she uses her finger or a washcloth with toothpaste on it.  i only have one bathroom in my rental house, so i knew we would be crossing paths there.  i am not the best housekeeper, but i do like things in some sort of order.  towels hung in the same place to avoid confusion of whose is whose.  that sort of thing.    

the second day she was here, i went to take a shower about an hour after she did, and noticed the rug on the floor next to the tub was soaked.  i have shower doors and wondered why it was so wet.  i asked her if she closed the doors, and she said she did.  strange.......i have been here 4 months, and never has the rug even been damp.  ok............    

i noticed my only hairbrush was empty of my hair.......not that i don't clean it out myself, but i lose alot of hair daily, so it is always a little "hairy".  but it was clean........i asked her if she had cleaned it out.  she said yes, when she took a shower, she cleaned it out, and then used it.  ok, doesn't this woman, who has hair down to her waist, and thick as a thicket, have her own brush????     

on friday night, she says she is taking a shower and then shaving her legs and underarms.  i said ok, and went about my business.  a few minutes later she comes out and is complaining that the razor isn't sharp enough.  i asked her what razor was she using.................she said the pink one........... i asked her if she meant her pink one or my pink one...........she said mine, on the sink...............i couldn't believe it!!!!!!!!!  she was using MY razor!!!  why would anyone use someone elses razor???  that is like using someone elses toothbrush!  and i don't have the extra money right now to buy any more razors................    

ok, i let it go.  it is now monday morning, around 5:45 am, and neither of us have to be at work till 3 pm on monday.  i had layed down, being so sleepy i couldn't hold my head up, and had gone to sleep immediately.... when 5 minutes later, i hear a distant voice saying my name.....then it got louder, and then suddenly a burst of light startles me awake from my sleep, and she says.............."hey, didn't you hear me calling you???  i am getting something to drink."  oh my gosh, she woke me up to tell me she was getting something to drink????????????????  is this how roommates are???  and she hasn't paid me a dime yet???  someone help, i smell murderous intent in the air..........................              

 

                    HEADSTONE.bmp

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This all sounds like a nightmare and I feel for you. In a way I feel for both of you, this woman's mother sounds like a monster!!!! I would not like a roomie using my razor or hairbrush either.  Oh dear, I do not know what to say.  But if she is not going to pay you anything, then you are better off without her.  Is there no way you could find someone else to share with you?  I wish I could offer you more comfort than this but can only send you ((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Anonymous said...

SIGH SIGH  SIGH... I COULD SAY WHAT I WONT I COULD DO BUT I DON'T AND I THINK SHE HAS THE PLAN TO SIT ON UR THRONE AND MAKE HERSELF TO HOME.  THAT IS JUST ODD   POETRY WITH A RING OF TRUTH.  I THINK SHE NEEDS A  poe  PERSONAL  OFFER OF EVICTION... TELL HER NEVER MORE NEVER MORE LESS MONEY CROSS MY DOOR AND U FIND UR RAZOR TOOTH BRUSH TOO TAKE A HINT HERES THE CLUE PICK UP UR MESS INDEED U'LL FIND I CAN BE A GOOD HOSTESS GIVEN TIME. SO NEVER MORE NEVER MORE HELP UR SELF IN MY PLACE IF U DO U; LL  BE DISGRACED.
JUST SOME POETRY TO MAKE U GIGGLE  BUT I THINK I KNOW WHY HER MOM DOESNT  WANT HER THERE LOL  BTW WHAT HAPPENED TO HER DAUGHTER? AS ALWAYS AARON

Anonymous said...

You know she may not be totally true. Maybe her mom said you cant read my books becuase you wont put them back. Maybe her mom said you cant watch tv caus eyou wont turn itoff. Maybe her mom sat and stared at her saying you are acting like a child so I ll watch you like a child. you wont keep the shower door dry you wont buy your own razors you wont get your own toothbrush So I ll charge you 800a month if I have to buy your every little thing!!!!!!!!! I hate to say she maybe fibbing to you.  But I have met people like that. I mean you do only have one side of the story. There must be more to it. Her mom maybe as fed up as you are only shes been dealing with it for longer. I could be wrong though. Well anway I dont blame you I could not stand it either!!!!!!! that stuff would drive me nuts. I would think since shes not helping you out then its time for her to go. I cant see keeping this thing going. WHO kows if this is the best she is. (people usally are their best in  the beginning) then how in the world are you going to stand it when the REAL her comes out. ?????? YOu poor poor thing. Try typing it in word then when you are done put it in aol. That way if you have it saved in word you wont have ot worry about loosing it if aol crashes while you are in mid writing or posting. Lori

Anonymous said...

OMG the nerve of her,...i know your not a mean person but you MUSt tell her how you feel about al this, and like it or not, she has to have some respect for you! It is your house, and maybe you would be better off without her, don't let this nonsense continue or you'll really have a problem gettin rid of her...she is very very disrespectful....

Anonymous said...

Oh, I have terrible roomate-from-hell stories.  They were because I did not set ground rules immediately.  Set them NOW.  Talk to her NOW.  Tell her to buy her own necessities NOW.  Set up money NOW.  Or she must move out within a week!  Someone will end up murdering someone!  Guaranteed!  Good luck!!
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ValsThoughts

Anonymous said...

I hope this room mate works out. She does like to share some rather personal items. I think it is time for you to set the ground rules Regina. God Bless You

Anonymous said...

OMG...Regina! I would set some RULES..NOW. Better do it now before it gets anymore out of hand. I have never had a person to room with me, but I don't think I could handle it. She seems to be taking over your SPACE not to mention your "stuff."
Maybe her MOM had good reasons for being so strict with her. You never know someone until you live with them (that is what my Mom always told me.) She may be a roomate from hell! So sorry she is giving you so much grief. Geesh...and the hairbrush thing and the razor thing would just really tick me off.
Hopefully you can straighten her out about everything!!!!
What happened to her DAUGHTER? Did she bring her along or leave her at her Mom's?
God Bless~{{HUGS}}

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Give her a list of the rules and a demand for payment.  Tell her to buy her own stuff.  Or better yet....tell her to leave...she obviously has no respect for your personal belongings or your right to privacy.

Anonymous said...

Take a breath & don't freak.  Just set the ground rules & all will be okay.  Neither of you needs to cater to the other.  Each to his own.  Prorate the rent depending on when she moved in.  Co-habitation is possible.  And Lord knows you need the assistance financially.  Pray.  Talk.  All will be okay, Woman. BB ~

Anonymous said...

Their are two types of people in this world, I believe.  The users and the givers.  Your room-mate sounds like a user.  And  I don't think she understands what boundaries are.  If it were me, I would send her packing.  She will of course get angry, but you have to consider your well-being first.  And, don't feel guilty.  She is a grown woman.  She'll make it.  

Bless you, and hang in there.  Life will find a way.  You will find a way.

Anonymous said...

i think since its just the first week that you have a roommate , you two just need to sit down and talk and set the ground rules and let each other know whats going on and what bothers each other . it is your house and you are in the right. but be nice and open and dont go in there with a threatening attitude , because i think it can work itself out. she does work and the rent issue can be worked out and all the other things to if you just keep an openline of communication. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo p.s. and lay down the law if you are asleep no waking up for something to drink.  love you  xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

I agree with Michael. Just talk to her, tell her that you don't like sharing personal items such as razors, hair brushes, and etc..but, that you do appreciate her rooming with you and that you really want it to work out. Oh, and no more waking you up unless the house is on fire. hee hee

Lahoma