Tuesday, September 12, 2006

NO WILL (a poem)(disclaimer attached)

I feel I must add a disclaimer of sorts to this poem.............first let me explain why I wrote it........

I was watching late night television and there was a commercial for some law firm, stating that if you had a teenager that committed suicide, contact them.  The picture that appeared on the screen was of a teenaged girl.  Though I am sure she was an actress or print model, the look on her face broke my heart. 

I have a daughter, and though she is almost 21, to think she could have been that despondant during her teen years and could have been a statistic, really struck home with me.  I raised a strong willed young woman, but nothing is ever certain in life.  I have had bouts with depression myself where the thought of taking my life sounded like such an easy way out.  I have lived a very long and not so happy life, but the thought of a young person not finding something in their short lives to make them want to live breaks my heart in two.

So, if you or someone close to you has lost a teen to suicide, please, feel free to "x" out my journal entry and not read it.  But I felt it was something I had to write, and with much thought and deliberation, I have decided to print it here.

 

NO WILL

One need only take a look at the haunting emptiness in her eyes
The smile you sometimes see on her face is merely a disguise

Though her years are barely over a decade in their length
She has given up, lost the fight, has exhausted all her strength

She sits within the darkened tomb she has chosen for herself
Recently she put her will to live so carefully on a shelf

She no longer needed that will to live, for life meant nothing now
No friends, divorced parents, no one to show her how

In the deepest darkness of night she cried and no one heard her plea
So she took her life by downing pills to live in hell for eternity

‘Twas too bad she could not see the many who came to grieve
Each one cared deeply for this girl, though she never would believe

Parents, take heed, and listen carefully to your children’s cries
Love them, honor them, cherish them before another dies

(by Regina)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was so powerful and I'm touched by it.  There is a journaler I know of who has had a child take their life.  I too, attempted at the age of seven.  Again as a teenager and several times through a long and lonely life.  I am so glad I'm beyond that as an option EVER AGAIN! Thank you, GOD!!!  I know how it feels to get that lonely.
Nelishia

Anonymous said...

That is so touching Regina...sorry I haven't been around much lately.
How are you?

Sharon