Monday, October 15, 2007

NO GOOD DEED GOES.................

no good deed goes unpunished..............i always wondered about that phrase.  i was never sure whether i agreed with it or not.  but after last night, i think i might have to.

i was sick most of sunday with a stomach virus and apparent sinus infection.  needless to say, i was "stuck" in my house all day.  around 7 pm i heard a banging on my bedroom door.  there was my housemate, looking frantic, and asking me to take her and her grandson to his house to take him home.  she had a flat tire and couldn't take him.  it was the same tire she had had plugged a week or so ago.  i told her i didn't have much gas in the car and i was suffering from a virus and didn't want to get too far away from a restroom.  she huffed off and said she would ask the caretaker that lived behind us.  i told her i would be glad to change her tire for her if she had a spare or a donut tire, and if i could get the lug nuts off.  when they put them on with an air gun, you cannot get them off usually.  she didn't even know if she had a spare, a donut or a jack.  sigh..........

upon dressing and going down to her car, i saw she had a brand new looking donut, so i began to change the tire.  she was telling me this and that like she didn't think i was doing it right.  after all, i volunteered, and she didn't even know she had a tire.  her grandson kept getting near the car as i was jacking it up and i told him 5 or 6 times to stand back away from the car.  he wouldn't.  i finally told him and his grandmother that if they both didn't stand back and listen to me, i would let them change the tire and i would go back to being sick.  both got mad at me.  but i have seen what can happen if a child gets close to someone changing a tire.  when i worked at the health dept. i saw pictures at the medical examiners of small children killed by a car falling off a jack and onto them.  or the car rolling forward and smashing a child.  i just didn't want anything to happen to him.  finally, AFTER i got the tire changed and was about to tighten the lug nuts, my housemate's daughter and boyfriend drove up.  the daughter was surprised her mother didn't know how to change a tire.  then she thanked me for doing it for her.  i let the boyfriend tighten the lug nuts and put everything back into the car.  as i was getting up from the ground with the daughter's help, my foot slipped on some pine straw and i fell back onto my arm.  i heard something pop and the pain was unbearable.  i knew i didn't break a bone, but i was sure i pulled a tendon or muscle.  i humbly limped up the stairs and tried to rest.  i slept on a heating pad and that helped some.  as soon as i left the house i went to get gas, then bought some ibuprofen.  i took 4 tablets and the pain isn't quite as bad right now.  as long as i can take those, i will be ok.  i didn't have anything to take when it happened, so i suffered.

don't get me wrong..........i would help her again if she needed me.  but she has yet to thank me.........or check on me to see how my arm is.  at least now i understand the saying "NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED".  sigh.............................

ok, off to work i go.............in pain................

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a catalogue of accidents.  what a silly woman not to know anything about her car...she needs a few lessons me thinks !!  I do hope that you are will be ok. and that the pain eases soon.  Love and thanks for helping others  Syblil xxx

Anonymous said...

You have found yourself in the same situation that I find myself in from time to time.  You have a good heart and what you do is not for thanks, or appreciation, but if you hurt yourself doing the task, you do expect a little concern.  Unfortunately, that concern is rather hard to come by these days.  I hope your arm is OK, and that you are right that it ISN'T broken.  Keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't start feeling better in a day or so, get it checked.  Broken bones tend to get worse if not treated quickly.

Greg

Anonymous said...

Hummm wonder how I missed this entry? Must not have gotten an alert. What an ungrateful person that lady was and she could have kept her grandson out of the way. Paula