Thursday, September 18, 2008

AN ENTRY WRITTEN 24 HOURS AGO

Finally, cooler weather.  It is about 64 degrees here in my town at 12:11 am, Thursday.  I just changed my air conditioner from cool to fan only, for the first time in 3-1/2 months.  The days are going to be in the low to mid 70’s, so that will be nice, too.  But I don’t look forward to cold weather.  I hate having to put on warm clothes and a jacket every time I need to go outside the house.  But that is one of the quirks of living in Georgia.

 

Since I was off work on Monday, I went to pay my rent/utility bill.  The landlord wasn’t in, nor was his secretary, so I left it with one of the front office receptionists, along with a note telling the landlord I didn’t want further inspections, as I felt they were invasive of my privacy, and to satisfy his need to know if I had “cleaned the piles of materials” from the bedroom, I had taken numerous pictures and printed them out on plain paper for his perusal.  I feel that should suffice.  I have half expected him to come by the house and leave me a nasty note.  He has become such a bully.  I have known him for many years, even having gone to church with him years ago.  He used to be such a nice man, full of good spiritedness and integrity.  He has become a totally different person.  I feel it is his many years of service as mayor of our little town.  Either that or he is becoming senile.  Or maybe both.  Sigh…

 

After he had left me the note that there were numerous cats in the neighborhood, I stopped seeing any of the wild kitties around the house.  I figured he had called the pound to pick them up.  I stopped putting food out since it wasn’t being eaten and ants and bugs were getting into it.  Then, Monday, as I went out to run errands, Gray was sitting in the driveway looking at me getting into the car.  She looked rather good, so I am assuming she is either preggers again, or has been eating somewhere else.  I fed her later in the day when I got home.  It appears both of her previous kittens are deceased.  I really hate it, too.  I am sure I am the reason for the demise of the beige one, but I don’t know what happened to the black one.  They were both rather fuzzy like their daddy (Blacky).

 

Since I cleaned the large pile of craft items out of the bedroom floor, my kitty has been having a ball playing with her toys.  She has a toy tub that has no lid, and even though I have taken out 3 of her favorites to play with, she sits over the tub, staring down into it like she is expecting another favorite to pop out for her.  She runs across the floor chasing her Rat, which is her favorite of all.  She can snag her claws in it and toss it high up in the air, and then when it falls on her, she holds it with her front paws and kicks the daylights out of it with her hind paws.  Then the chase and throw begins all over.  So I guess one good thing came out of my “clean-up” attempt.

 

I worked on Tuesday, and even though I had hoped for a good day, argument and confrontation free, I had a small tiff with another co-worker.  Now I have nothing against people from the north as long as they don’t badmouth those of us from the south.  She is a true yank from Rhode Island who hates living here in Georgia.  Her children live here, so that is why she doesn’t move back.  That and the fact that her husband isn’t in the best of health for moving.

 

Having mostly clerical/managerial jobs in the past, I lean toward wanting to help the assistant director when she lets me and I have the time.  I get nothing from it other than satisfaction that I have decreased her stress levels just a little.  I have been helping her make appointments for people in need of acquiring free clothing at our store.  The auditor is coming on Thursday, Friday and Monday, so the assistant director has been busy trying to get ready for the audit.  When someone calls for clothing assistance, I check her calendar and then I inform her of what spaces are available and when she gives me the approval, I make the appointment and make sure that the client has knowledge of the date and time, as well as directions to the store.

 

Someone either called or came into the store Tuesday needing clothing assistance.  The aforementioned Northern co-worker came to ask the assistant director about making an appointment for the woman.  The assistant director immediately looked at me for help, since I had been making her appointments for her.  I spoke up as to my knowledge of the last appointment I had actually made for her, and the other co-worker shushed me.  When I kept on telling her what the last appointment I had made was, she shushed me again, lost her patience and said “Excuse me, I am NOT talking to you!”  I told her I knew as much about the appointments as the assistant director since she had been letting me make them for her.  The co-worker continued to argue with me that it wasn’t any of my business and I should stay out of it.  I went inside and she continued fussing at me.  I told her she didn’t know what she was talking about, since I had been making the appointments for the assistant director to help her out in a stressful time.  Even though she finally realized I HAD been helping, she never apologized to me, but went to the assistant director and apologized to her.  I thought it was rather comical myself. 

 

Since the auditors are coming, we all have to watch our hours at work.  Usually I get anywhere from 30-36 hours a week, even though I was only promised 29 a week.  Now I only get 29.  Hopefully things will change after they leave.  I NEED MO MONEY!!!

 

Not sure if I mentioned it in an earlier entry, but I found out lately that after I am employed for a full year, I will get a pension plan, as well as one week paid vacation per year.  Wow, a part time job with full time benefits……..how cool is that?!?!?!?  My old job would never have offered me that………they never even paid me my first raise.  I guess with the benefits I get where I am now it is worth a few confrontations/arguments.

 

Remember me telling you about selling a toy box to the wrong customer last Saturday?  Well I have one better for you……….the newest employee (the one whose elevator doesn’t reach the top floor) sold the same bookshelf 2 times within an hour.  It was an honest mistake since the bookshelves are outside and cannot be seen by the cashiers.  But someone had to have removed the SOLD sign that had been placed on the bookshelves.  The same employee said she might be the reason we were $5 over Tuesday evening.  I hate being off either way, but if I have more than the register tape says, then I am ok.

 

I was able to read and comment in a few journals when I did have wifi, so hopefully I will be able to do so again soon.

 

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend………I have to work Friday and Saturday……

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad that things are getting a bit cooler for you. We are still hoping that we might have a few warm days !!to much to hope for a few hot days now I suppose. However Mary and I have only just over 2 weeks now till we will be away to South Africa when we will surely get some hot days !!   Love  sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

Hope your year will be up soon so you can get the good benefits. That sounds great for a part time job. Paula