Thursday, September 11, 2008

MORE DRAMA

Here I am at the library again.  I have not been able to get a wifi signal for quite some time, so am doing this entry on Word and transferring to flash drive, then to the journal.  Sigh……….

 

I have to do some research on Georgia landlord/tenant law while I am here at the library, so have to hurry and enter this.  Plus I have a ton of things to do today (Thursday) since I am off work.  But I just have to catch you up to date on the landlord and his “inspection”.

 

Originally, the landlord stated he would be back in one month to see if I had “cleared” all the “stored” items and put them into a storage unit off the premises.  Then, I got the first letter from him stating he would be back on August 28th for another inspection, instead of September 7th as he had first told me.  I made arrangements at work to be off on Thursday, the 28th, and then I get the second note.  He wouldn’t be able to do the inspection on that date, but would be back on the 29th to do the inspection.  I went to a co-worker and asked her if I could swap days with her so that I could be off on Friday for his visit.  She swapped with me.  In a way, it was a good trade, giving me Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday (Labor Day) as a long weekend. 

 

I had almost everything “cleared” in all the areas by Thursday night.  But I got up at 8 am on Friday morning to recheck everything, sweep, vacuum and spruce up everything.  It was a good thing I ate breakfast, as that was the last food I had until almost 7 pm.

 

Around 10 am I sat down to watch some TV and await the illustrious landlord.  I was hungry and tired, but mostly sleepy.  Since I do own a cat and wanted to make sure she wasn’t discovered by the landlord, I tried to stay alert and listen for his knock on the door so that I could make sure she was hidden from him before he entered.  That is one reason I didn’t dare go into the kitchen for fear he would come up while I was in there and I wouldn’t be able to warn my fat cat.

 

So………..I waited.  And waited.  And waited……………………

 

Sometime around 4 pm I couldn’t hold my eyes open any more.  I had only gotten about 2 hours sleep the night before and was tired from lifting all the heavy Rubbermaid containers into the storage closet in my apartment.  I finally HAD to lay down and take a nap.  Every few minutes my subconscious would hear something and I would awaken.  No landlord, though.

 

Around 7 pm I decided the jackarse wasn’t coming.  So I went in and made some supper, in my pajama shirt and no pants…………just hoping he would show up so that I could yell at him for showing up late and without calling first and finding me in my jammies. 

 

Well, as you have already surmised, I never saw nor heard from him on that Friday.  Nor did I see or hear from him on Saturday, Sunday or Monday.  I had to go back to work on Tuesday and when I got home there was a note on my stairway railing.  He had come that day for the inspection.  WITHOUT CALLING ME!!!!!!  He just showed up and went through the spare bedroom and the kitchen.  The note said he had had the opportunity to come do the inspection and was pleased with the results he was able tosee, but that the bedroom door was locked and he would have to contact me later about gaining access to that room for an inspection.  I FRICKIN’ DON’T THINK SO!!!!!   As far as I am concerned, there will be NO FURTHER INSPECTIONS  unless “I” have a concern I must address………like the leak in the spare bedroom he still hasn’t mentioned and/or repaired.

 

I was livid when he didn’t show up or call on that Friday, and I figured he would pull something like he did on Tuesday, doing a surprise inspection.  So I went to Lowe’s and bought a new dead bolt and installed it on my bedroom door.  And I guess my woman’s intuition was right on this time.

 

I had taken pictures of the “cleared” areas after he didn’t show up with the intent to take them and a letter, stating my ire over his failure to show or call, to his mayoral office.  But even after writing the letter, I knew I could not give it to him.  It was full of anger and might have gotten me into more trouble than I could imagine.  But it felt good to get it out of my system.

 

Another thing that I thought was rather funny……I had the rent money, in cash, waiting on him on that Friday.  He would have had the money that day had he shown up or at least called and cancelled the appointment.  I could have taken it up to his office.  Instead, with the holiday weekend, he didn’t get it until Tuesday, the 2nd, which ironically, is the day he showed up at the apartment.  I waited with baited breath for him to dare charge me a $50 late fee after he didn’t show up.  But, alas, he didn’t charge me one.

 

I have since calmed down a bit (even though the retelling of the story has got the hair on the back of my neck standing at attention) and have rewritten the note to him.  I have included the pictures I printed off the computer of the areas of concern, all having the time/date stamp on them so that he will know they are legitimate.  The note simply states that since he failed to keep the appointment he insisted on making, and I lost a day of work, I felt it was in both of our best interests to not make another appointment for an inspection, but instead I was including pictures of the areas he was concerned about.  I hope that will put an end to this nonsense……….but knowing him, and my luck, it probably won’t.

 

He also mentioned in one of his numerous notes that there were cats in the neighborhood and he didn’t allow animals in the house.  Actually, this is the very first timein the 2-1/4 years I have lived here that HE has actually stated that to me in any fashion.  I was never told by the man who I actually rented the place from that cats were not allowed.  I think that the landlord did “something” about the cats, as I have not seen any around in almost a week.  Gray was still coming around and eating, letting me pet her and even pick her up until I got that note from him.  I haven’t seen her kitten (the black/white one) in almost 2 weeks.  I think she might even be preggers again.  Sigh…………I guess he had the pound put out traps for the local cats.

 

I have lots more to tell, but not sure that one entry will do, so I will close this one and start another.

 

Bye for now……

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a story !!  In a way I am glad that your landlord didn't come or you might have blown your top and that would not have helped !!!  Hope all will go well from now on...we can always hope...Love  Sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a rough time with this situation.  I wish I could offer some suggestions to make it better for you.  Sometimes landlord/tennent disputes can get rather nasty, and there is never a resolution that both can live with.  I hope that this is not the case, and you can get things settled and better.

Greg

Anonymous said...

What an awful situation you are in.  I wish you could find better arrangements, it seems you don't get the respect you deserve where you are.
Lisa