Friday, June 23, 2006

A SMALL MIRACLE

I wanted to share something with my readers:

 

Last night I went to the local food pantry for my monthly food appointment.  They are great people and it is a great organization, and they help hundreds of people who are indigent or very low income. 

 

At Christmas, I gave the receptionist, Charlotte, a crocheted scarf.  She loved it so much, she showed it to her granddaughter, who happens to live in Florida, and the little girl wanted one.

 

So, last month when I went in for my appointment, Charlotte asked me if I would make one for her granddaughter.  She wanted it like hers, if I could.  I explained that that yarn was all gone and that it would probably be different.  She said that was fine.  In unpacking some  of my boxes, I found a box of finished crocheted items.  Inside was a scarf identical to Charlotte’s, except that I had put some leftover purple yarn in with the pink to make the fringe.  I grabbed it and put it in the car. 

 

After I got in and settled at the pantry, I told Charlotte I had her granddaughter’s scarf with me.  She said to hold onto it, since her granddaughter just happened to be there with her, and she wanted me to give it to her.  A few minutes later the prettiest little girl about 7 with long golden curls came out and I gave it to her.  She said purple was her favorite color, so the fringe was a hit.  She hugged me and thanked me.  Then Charlotte told her to go get something from her grandpa (who is the evening coordinator and Charlotte’s husband) and in a few minutes she returned and handed me $5.  I told Charlotte it wasn’t necessary, I wouldn't take it.  And Charlotte, who has a heart of gold but a temper to match hell’s fury, shot me a glance and said, not another word, I want you take that.  I thanked her, and told her it was a Godsend.

 

Now, some of you might wonder why I am writing about this as if it is a miracle  or something.  Well, you see, before I left for the pantry, I was completely broke other  than some change.  I had no gas in my car, other than fumes, and didn’t know how I was going to get to the food pantry and back home, and then  to work on Friday to get my check.  I had rolled my pennies and there were only 99 cents worth.  But a customer had found a dollar bill on the floor at work the last day I had worked, and after the store closed and no one claimed it, I took it home.  I also found 15 cents on the floor that day.  So technically I had $2.14.  Gas is going for $2.79 a gal. for regular right now.  So that wasn’t even a gallon.  I stopped at the gas station and told the clerk to set the pump for $2.14 so that I wouldn’t go over.  He laughed and did.  

 

I watched the fuel gauge the whole time I was on my way to the food pantry.  It was still lit up that I was getting low and needed to refuel.  So, when Charlotte gave that $5 to me, I saw my way back home………….I could get gas at the Kroger for $2.73 and make it home and to work to get my check.  Now to some of you out there, being broke may mean only having a couple hundred in the bank.  When I say I am broke, believe me, I am broke.  I am usually $10 short each two week pay period of being able to pay bills and get gas.  So this was truly a miracle to me…………and yes, God does work in mysterious ways, but they are also loving and compassionate ways………..I am just so glad that I know HIM.

 

I hope each and every one of you have a miracle in your life today……small, large, doesn’t matter……..hold it dear and thank God for it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you had this tiny bit of good luck and yes I'm sure it came from the Lord. Wishing you well, Paula

Anonymous said...

Thanks for leaving me a message on my journal, I'm kinda back now.  I'm sorry that you are having such a rough time of it, believe me I've been there. Some people just never understand even when you work, you are still not making it. Hope and pray that things improve...Sandi

Anonymous said...

GOD HAS BLESSED YOU,,,THANK YOU FOR READING MY JOURNAL,,,mARIE