Tuesday, August 17, 2004

HEROES AMONG US

for some time i have wanted to add some of the "heroes among us" stories i receive in my email.  so today, i begin by adding this entry from cassie mcquay of jonesboro, arkansas:

               paramedics.bmp

Today's Hero:

I call my hero my gentle giant (he's really big), and I'm not even sure he realizes that he is a hero to me.  I hope he does, but he saves so many lives everyday that saving mine was almost just "all in a day’s work."  Thank God he enjoys his work.  You see, when I was a senior in high school, I was riding with some friends on my way to school.  It was raining pretty hard that morning, and the driver was in a hurry.  We slid off a curve and the small Firebird we were in hit
a truck head-on.  There were three of us in the firebird, all young stubborn teenagers, and two of us were hurt very badly.  The three passengers in the truck, one a small child, thankfully sustained only minor injuries.

Paramedics were called to the scene and were quick to help my friends, and I am very grateful for that.  Sadly, they took one look at me and
determined that I was dead, without even checking my vital signs.  You must understand, I looked dead.

Now this is where God sent my gentle giant to intercept.  He is a paramedic in a nearby state who just happens to live close to the school I was attending.  I know it was not just coincidence that he was driving through that exact way at that exact time.  He didn't have to stop and help even.  He had been working for 24 hours straight and was very tired.  Since he did stop though, he realized that I wasn't dead and ripped the car door off that had me trapped in, and he kept
me alive.  I thank God for him every night before I go to bed, especially since I'm now married to his wife's brother.  My gentle giant didn't realize it at the time because I was unrecognizable, but
I was the little girl that was engaged to his wife's brother (his future sister-in-law)!  So, I now get to see my hero at family get-togethers, and he is the uncle of my children.

The best thing we can be is the hero of another.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwwwwww what a wonderful story Lori

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful journal and look into your life.
Thank you for sharing!
God Bless you always!
Bill

Anonymous said...

A truly moving story.I have been in a bit of a funk all day,and to read something like this.Well it serves as a reminder that there are people out there that do care,and make a difference in someone's life everyday.Thank you,a little of my hope for humanity has been restored.