Wednesday, August 25, 2004

ICE CREAM

this is a lovely story i received in my email several years ago.....i saved it and found it again tonight.  i felt like sharing it with all of you.  hope you enjoy it...........................

BOYEATINGICECREAM.jpg
Last week I took my children to a restaurant. My six-year-old son asked if he could say grace.

As we bowed our heads he said, "God is good. God is great. Thank you for the food, & I would even thank you more if Mom gets us ice cream for dessert. And Liberty & justice for all!  Amen!" 
      

Along with the laughter from the other customers nearby, I heard a woman remark, "That's what's wrong with this country. Kids today don't even know how to pray. Asking God for ice-cream!  Why, I never!" 

Hearing this, my son burst into tears & asked me, "Did I do it wrong?  Is God mad at me?" 
      

As I held him & assured him that he had done a terrific job & God was certainly not mad at him, an elderly gentleman approached the table.  He winked at my son & said, "I happen to know that God thought that was a great prayer."  "Really?" my son asked.  "Cross my heart," the man replied. 
      

Then in a theatrical whisper he added (indicating the woman whose remark had started this whole thing), "Too bad she never asks God for ice cream. A little ice cream is good for the soul sometimes." 
      

Naturally, I bought my kids ice cream at the end of the meal.

My son stared at his for a moment & then did something I will remember the rest of my life. He picked up his sundae & without a word, walked over & placed it in front of the woman. With a big smile he told her, "Here, this is for you. Ice cream is good for the soul sometimes; and my soul is good already."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Regina,
That is so sweet. I got it as an email several years back also. I thought it was so sweet what the little boy did at the end. Wonder how that lady felt?

My computer has been down, but I fixed it! So, I am up and running now. HOW R U doing? Things any better? {{HUGS}}
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Yep, Thats a good one. I remember having tears in my eyes the first time I read it.

Anonymous said...

I loved this story, God Bless

Anonymous said...

A very inspiring story.I'm thinking that little boy brought great pride to his mother.

Anonymous said...

I 'member this one . . . thanx for the smile.