Monday, July 7, 2008

APPLICATIONS AND STRAWBERRY TOASTER STRUDEL

today at work there was a frightening incident.  i was talking with 2 customers, a husband and wife, who knew my boss personally and noticed our "ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS" sign.  the wife had previously talked with my boss and was told when a position came open, he would personally call her and let her know so that she could come on in and get all the paperwork filled out.  she and i were discussing the different aspects of the application and how she should complete it in order to get noticed and hired.  another male customer was standing behind them, asking one of our volunteers how much a tv was out in the front window, and since i was still talking to my customers,  he became agitated and wanted to know when i planned on stopping my conversation with them and wait on him.  i mentioned that that would be rude, and went back to talking to the original couple, and he started yelling at me, saying i was a real piece of work and that he was leaving and never coming back.  i told him that that was his prerogative and he yelled louder and said i was the rude one for not stopping my chit chat with other people and waiting on him.  most of the customers in the store were either friends or regular customers, and everyone gathered around, as if they were going to support me against the man.  as the man reached the doorway, several customers muttered he had a real problem, but the man i had been talking to with his wife said out loud "that man has a real problem".  the belligerent man turned at the doorway and said "and what are you going to do about it?" and my customer laid down his packages and started toward the man when his wife and i both told him it wasn't worth it, to please stop and he stopped walking toward the man and told him he was really lucky that the 2 of us had called him off.  i got on the phone and paged someone to the front, as i needed to get away from there, but while i was waiting for someone to come up, i burst into tears and the man who i had been talking to leaned over and patted me on the back and asked if i were ok.  i told him not really, and realized my heart seemed to have stopped.  i couldn't catch my breath for fear.  i am not used to any type of violence and when confronted with the possibility of something happening, i freak out.  i was afraid the man was going to come back in with a gun and shoot us all.  but when i looked up, almost everyone in the store was looking at me and pointing that he had gotten in his truck and left.  when someone came up from the back and saw that i was hysterical, they asked what happened, and when i told them, i was more or less chastised for even having any conversation with the man.  i was told i should have taken the key from the register and walked off to the back.  of course..........that was the first thing that came to my mind while i was hysterically trying to catch my breath.......NOT!!  my customers came up to me one by one after my 2 co-workers walked off and told me how wrong the co-workers were for doing that and asked if i were ok.  at least it is good to know that i DO have some people out there that have my back.  that idiot could still come back and cause some trouble.  i guess i just need to pray about it and turn it over to God.

something interesting (not frightening) also happened today.  i got a call from a dispatcher at a trucking company wanting to know if we would be willing to accept a load of pillsbury strawberry toaster strudel.  the store that it was shipped to had refused it for some reason, and they had 70 cases they needed to unload.  all they wanted was a receipt showing they had delivered the 70 cases for their records.  the truck driver just happens to live a couple of miles down the road and knew right where we were located.  one of my customers, who looks eerily like michael, helped the driver back the truck in and unload all 70 cases.  so i gave him 2 cases and gave him a big discount on his order.  we gave the strudel away in cases to whomever made a purchase.  there were a few who were mad because they couldn't get more than 2 cases.  when we ran out, a woman that is a regular customer, happened to go back to the kitchen to leave some snacks on the table for us and happened to see the boxes and wanted to know why she couldn't have one.  well, because all the boxes there were marked for someone who worked or volunteered there. 

i only brought home one case, which had 12 boxes of 6 strudels each.  so that is.....um... let me see.....oh, 72 strudels.  the woman who has given her notice piled 6 boxes in her van, and then suddenly felt ill and needed to go home.  (strudel needs refrigeration/freezing.   i am sure that had nothing to do with her needing to leave)

ok, enough about my stupid job..............it pays my bills, so i guess if i keep my mouth shut and my ears and eyes open, i will survive.

i guess with my infrequent and "angry" entries, i have lost a lot of my readers again.  i have been thinking lately that maybe it is time to just write in my private journal.  i don't get any feedback that way, but at least i don't put all my burdens on my readers.  i already have 2 private journals, as well as an offline journal, but i like to bounce my feelings, thoughts, ideas off others.  i am still thinking about it.  maybe if i do go private, i can start a different type of journal for public viewing. 

i have also wondered if anyone really wants me to continue my kittycaptions.  they are harder to come by due to my lack of wifi connection.  i guess i am just in a rut and am looking for a way out............any ideas??

well, i guess i better sign off and try to enter a kittycaption and save it all before the journal powers cease to allow me to be.

(i am sorry i didn't offer a "HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY" to anyone, but my computer wouldn't let me on until tonight........so for those of you who are here in the states and celebrate the fourth, i hope you had a good one)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I for one read every entry even if  I don't reply
I look forward to it
and it is like a friend
I don't see a rut and i am not bored
I hope you continue and it is perfectly okay to share your day
it beats hearing about mine anyways
as always a friend

Anonymous said...

I read every entry too and try to comment on them all.

I worked for a place two years ago in a seedy area of town where I was held up and the management blamed me for not knowing how to handle myself.  The security guard had left the property and I was held for fourty minutes not being able to get near the emergency button, by four crazy West African men. I understand crazy bosses. And why you'd get upset.  I get totally incapacitated because I AM used to violence and have Post Traumatic Syndrome.  

The Streudel incident is crazy.  Greedy people/seedy lives.

Sorry about losing the wifi.  There's a cat captions site on this website when you get a signal that you might enjoy.  It's called THE SIDE SHOW.

http://p100.ezboard.com/The-Menagerie-/fsideshowfrm2.showMessage?topicID=365.topic

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Prayingandbelieving/



Anonymous said...

I love your kitty captions. Keep on with them, pleeease. Paula

Anonymous said...

Oh Wumz...I won't go leaving you even if you do do a bit of compalining sometimes...but you have to talk it out with someone so why not your friends on here....I do like the kittycaptions...but don't wory if you cant get any done sometimes,  I am just a thinking that your Panic attack that you had next day were probably all joined up with todays entry...fear can bring lots of things on. Try to keep calm..not always easy I know,  Love Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

It may take me a little bit to get here, but I do read your entries my friend and hope you know your important to me. I wish you didn't have to deal with half the stuff you do at work, the environment isn't a very friendly one at all. (Hugs)Indigo