Thursday, March 22, 2007

ANOTHER MISERABLE DAY IN THE LIFE...........

i just finished typing six large paragraphs about my horribly miserable tuesday, and the mouse quit working and fell apart, and fell on the puter which wiped the whole thing out.....................so, in short, this is what happened on tuesday after i left the library.......

 

ok, after i left the library, i went to the post office.  i noticed something weird happening with my car.  when i came back out of the post office, i noticed my "donut" tire was flat.

now, i have really pushed that poor tire to its limits.  it is supposed to be used only in cases of emergencies.  well, i have driven on it for the last 1-1/2 months.  i have driven on the expressway, at rates of 60-80 mph.  i have really abused the little "donut".  it finally struck back..........

it was almost 5 pm, and the post office would be closed.  so i went in and asked if anyone there could help me.  they didn't get off till 6 pm, but one of my friends there said she would take me home or to a service station.  i told her my regular tire place would be closed by then.  then, a customer overheard me and said there was a tire store right up the road about a mile.  i had lived in the town for about 20 years but had forgotten about the place.  i had had dealings with the man before, and didn't like him.  he wasn't honest.  but i had no choice.

i started walking to the tire place and found out it was a mile and a half up the road.  i was out of breath when i got there but was glad they were still open.  the owner's wife checked to see if there was a used tire my size in the shop.  there was, and she told me it would be $35 to purchase, mount and balance.  not bad.  but then there would be a charge for road service. 

i waited over an hour, and my car was ready.  it had a really nice used tire on it.  it set me back $72.50, but well worth it.  fortunately i had just cashed my paycheck.  it was money earmarked for rent and utilities, but you have to do what you have to do.

but i thank God for keeping me safe.  i could have been doing 80 on the expressway when the "donut" blew.  then i would have been a highway mess. 

THANK YOU GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you are fortunate that it didn't happen on the interstate.  Those tires are designed for speeds of 55mph or below.  The heat that builds up at higher speeds will eventually cause the tire to fail.  It happened in the best place possible...a parking lot.  Sorry you had to hike so far to get a new (to you) tire.  At least they had a used one there that will fit.  It is a decent price, but Pep Boys usually has 50,000 tires brand new for that price.  I hope you have a good deal of tread on it, so you won't be back in the same situation again.  Don't forget to replace that donut tire.  You can pick them up at junk yards occasionally.

Greg