Tuesday, March 6, 2007

SADNESS

though my last entry was a bit on the up side, this one may not be.  i must relate what occurred at my job yesterday.  it really touched me in a way that will not be long forgotten.

yesterday was a day of sadness........one of my regular customers, a lady who reminds me of the Hallmark card character, Maxine, was in a very dismal mood when she came in.  i tried to joke with her and she told me, through tears, that her sister had just passed on the day before, and she was on her way there to find out what happened and to help make the arrangements.  i hugged her and held her while she sobbed. 

then later in the evening a couple came to my register, possibly in their upper twenties to early thirties.  the man was joking about needing to use our bathroom if we had one, so i pointed the way and began conversing with the woman, who seemed "drugged".  she was buying a small toychest made of wood in the shape of a child's alphabet block.  i was joking with her about it being a gift for her husband, and she softly uttered the most horrible words............IT IS A MEMORY CHEST FOR MY SON, WHO PASSED AWAY THIS PAST WEDNESDAY.  i couldn't believe my ears.  tears welled up in my eyes and i asked her how old he was, and what happened.  he was 3-1/2 years old, and died due to complications of a surgery he had several months ago.  as i spoke to her, she would sometimes smile when she spoke of him, and other times she would cloud up and start to cry.  i was overcome with emotion, so walked around to her side of the counter and gave her a big hug.  she was very receptive, and thanked me.  i held her hand while we waited for the receipt to come out of the register, and she gathered her things and walked away. 

a short while later her husband came back up from the restroom, and he had gathered a few more things to purchase for the memory box, as well as for a daughter they had that was 2 years old.  since my register had several customers, he went over to another register.  as i finished up my last customer, i walked over to him, told him his wife had told me about their son, and offered my condolences.  he grabbed me and hugged me and thanked me for caring.  i told both of them that i would keep them in my prayers, but that to remember the best memory box they both had was inside of them.......their memories, and their heart.

there were so many times when i wanted to strangle my daughter as she was growing up.  of course, i never would have........but this brings to light so much........we never can love our children enough.  i look back now and wish that all the times that i told her to go play in her room because i was busy cooking or cleaning or something, that i had hugged her, and let her help me, or at least sit there with me while i finished what i was doing.  i can never retrieve those minutes lost...........but at least i still have my child.  she is 21 now, and lives elsewhere, but she will always be my baby..........and i will treasure every moment spent with her from now on.

HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR LOVED ONES TODAY???  please do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tell you what...it really seems like there is a lot of death being doled out lately.  It is a shame, especially when the person is so young with their entire life ahead of them.  In the last 4 days that I worked, I investigated three deaths...one of them more than likely a brutal homicide, but they are calling it a suicide right now.  Death affects everyone a bit different, but almost always a kind word or a gentle touch will ease the pain of someone's passing, if just a little bit.  You will be remembered for your caring by those two.

Greg

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your kind words and hugs meant so much. A very touching entry. Thank you for sharing. paula