Saturday, March 17, 2007

MORE CONNECTION DRAMA

update on the connection to the internet drama...................

after i left the library where becky helped me load my flash drive, i went home to try it out.  my computer told me that before it could read the drive, it had to have updates.  ok, i clicked on windows updates, and it told me that it wasn't available offline.  grrrrrr.  so................i picked up an empty floppy disk and went to another library, not far from my house.  i don't like that library as well.  but i was glad i went.  the computer librarian told me that she didn't think what i needed to download was going to fit on a floppy.  but she wasn't sure, so she went to get richard.............yea for richard!!!  at first he told me that he doubted it would all fit on a floppy.  but after i pulled up what i needed from the windows site to download, richard noticed it was a small file, and said it would fit on the disk.  so.................i downloaded to the disk, went back home............it worked.  at least the update did.  but i still didn't have access to the internet.  WHAT WAS I DOING WRONG??!!

after a few hours of frustration, i finally decided to take a giant step backward.........i completely un-installed the wireless-g adaptor.  then i re-installed it.  and this time the installation process went further than it did before.  and it actually brought up a screen that tells me how well i am connected, the name of the connection, and where the connection is coming from.  momentarily i was even connected to the internet through msn AND yahoo..............then lost them both.  i haven't been successful in actually getting online since.  i have the signal............but for some reason i cannot access the internet.  if there is anyone out there that has any good suggestions, PLEASE HELP!

i previously had dial up on my computer, but was told when i installed the wireless adaptor that my computer would automatically change to wireless.  i just don't know what i am doing wrong.............but at least i have accomplished something............

if i had the money i would call the GEEK SQUAD.  but for now, i will try to figure it out on my own..........with suggestions from you guys and gals............

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know...maybe if you were to go into your internet connection properties and make your wireless network your preferred method that might fix you up.  The computer still might be looking for the modem connection.  Just a thought.

Greg