Sunday, July 4, 2004

FOURTH OF JULY

holidays are not my favorite thing.  i usually spend them alone......often even mother's day.  i have started this entry several times, and each time i looked at it, and it sounded way too depressing.  most of my entries are such, and even though today is one of those dreaded "holidays", i am not feeling in a festive mood.  but i felt i had to write something.  so i sat here for a few minutes, contemplating what to write, and suddenly, i knew what i was going to write.  since starting my online journal, i have become quite addicted to not only writing and working on my own, but reading and responding to others as well.  a few nights ago, i happened upon a journal which i couldn't read without getting a terrible headache.  the words were misspelled, the sentences were disjointed, and it was a grammatical disaster.  being an english major, i couldn't resist the opportunity to rush to the comment page, and post a comment, as well as a desire to help this person learn proper english and grammar, as well as spelling.  i received a response and it has changed my life.  improper grammar/english/spelling has always been a pet peeve of mine.  i never realized that my constant need to correct someone was actually a charactor flaw, and that "I" was the one with the problem.  the person to whom i directed my comments wrote me a grammatically disastrous email, but in that email i saw a kind, loving, compassionate human being who had lived a painful and abusive life.  a person who took my comment not as an attack on their inability to write properly, but as an offer to help them better themself.  this person reached out a hand of  friendship to me, and hopefully we will develop a friendship bond that will last forever.  her writings still give me a horrible headache, but heck, aspirin is cheap.  so this entry is in homage to that new friend, a person, who in one email, taught me what kind of person i had become.  thank you my friend, for helping me, when i thought it was i who could help you.  my suggestion to all of you is to never leave a stone unturned, never offer advice without offering friendship first, and learn to be compassionate and loving to all, even though they don't fit into our little "box" of expectancies.  this new friend has not only enlightened me, but enriched my life in the brief 2 days i have known her.  so, go out and find a new friend, and the more different they are from yourself, the richer your relationship will be.  enjoy your fourth.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you find a little something good in your life for today. Talk later Paula

Anonymous said...

I just came back to finish reading your entry as John was rushing me. This is interesting and I am sure you will find lots of mistakes in mine or is it me you are talking about. I finished high school but only had a good teacher for my freshman year. You know how small towns can be, the parents don't buck the system.

Anonymous said...

Good advice, and beautifully written.

Anonymous said...

Hi guess who?
im sorry you holiday couldnt be better.if it helps you made me smile and somtimes that takes alot so thank you !friends are good and you have one in me .
what i always do is think of my precious children and i feel good its not always easy as you well know but it helps so much .
it is late but i wanted to say thank you .also thought about you when i heard this song today me and emliy dont know how accurate it is to you and your child but for some reason i felt it was pretty close it is a country song dont know who sings it though
so have awonderfull night and i do hope your fourth was great goodnight

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here smiling so big right now...I am so happy that you looked past her spelling and gave her a chance.  I for one admire her for her courage to comment on the message board knowing she was taking the chance of others picking it/her apart. I saw past her spelling and went right to her journal. I too am a bad speller, but, <smiles> I can read just about anything. Also had to tell you (hope she doesn't mind this) she told me this morning what a wonderful person you are! In the past few weeks I have exchanged e-mails with her, I have came to love her and charish her friendship. She has a heart of gold. More people can learn from her. Just had to thank you for writing this entry. It's wonderful, hope others read it and learn from it! Ü