Monday, September 13, 2004

RAPE

i wanted to write this entry early this morning (1:25 am) when i first heard the story.  but i had spent alot of time fighting the isp powers that be trying to submit my last entry on the beslan massacre.  i was tired, frustrated, and then after the news i am about to divulge, i was devastated.  so i chose to sit on it for a day or two.  but here i sit, time on my hands and a burden on my heart. so here goes:  

my daughter, who is 18-1/2, called me at 1:06 am.  since she knows i am usually awake, she does this often, so i was not alarmed that she was calling me.  she started off with small talk, like how to de-flea her cat (the woman she lives with--38 yrs old--who was once her legal guardian--another story for another time--had thrown out my daughter's cat while my daughter was not home, all because she found a few fleas).  i could tell that my daughter had something heavier on her heart, but she didn't say.  i let her talk, and made comments, the mother in me wanting so badly to reach in her heart and pull out what was really bothering her.   

after about 20 minutes of "chit chat", she finally let the proverbial cat out of the bag.  her best friend had been raped the night before.  her friend was turning 19, and wanted a birthday party.  a mutual friend of hers and my daughter's offered to throw her one at his house, since his parents were out of town (usually means trouble).  my daughter had to work, and didn't get off work till 11:30 pm, so was late to the party.  

when my daughter arrived at the party, which was in full alcohol swing, the birthday girl was already pretty well out of it.  she wet her pants from being so drunk, and my daughter had to take her to the bathroom, change her, clean her, and dress her in something else.  (let me interject here.....this is not how i raised my daughter, nor the sort of friends i allowed her to have....she was a missionary for four summers straight, then fell in with the wrong crowd, moved out, and it has only gotten worse.)  after awhile, alot of the people, the birthday girl, AND  her boyfriend, who was in attendance, sorta passed out.  or went to sleep.  there were three guys at this party that only one person there knew.  the birthday girl was too zonked i guess to ask them to leave.   

anyway, while the birthday girl and most of the guests were passed out in the livingroom, one of these "guys" proceeds to rape the birthday girl.  right there in the livingroom!!  of course, when she awoke from her drunken stupor hours later, she was naked, and there was evidence of sexual intercourse, and her boyfriend wasn't the culprit.   

ok, being a mother, first thing i did was praise God it wasn't my child..... but, i know both the birthday girl, and her parents, and i know the pain and anguish, as well as desire to kill they must be experiencing.  my daughter took her friend to the emergency room and the mother of the girl came to the hospital, and they spent the day there, the girl undergoing testing, counseling, and investigative questioning.  the police are looking for the guy now.   

one of the hardest things to do when a mother hears this sort of thing is to not say I TOLD YOU SO.  i didn't say that to my daughter.  i did, however, express my view that it is always important to be aware of what is going on around you, and that alcohol, and drugs, can take control of your body away from you.  she said she knew that....but yet, i am sure next week, she and friends will be getting "wasted" again.......it hurts my soul, my heart, my being.  we cannot protect them from everything, especially once they have left your home..........  

this whole thing affected me than just as a mother.......i was raped too, when i was about 25.  i have never completely gotten over it, but i have learned to safely tuck it away......till something like this happens.  then i feel it all over again.  he was a friend of a friend......a nigerian citizen here on an educational visa......and when he did the deed, he was sought out, but had returned to nigeria.......and that was the end of that.......for him.  but i will have those emotional and physical scars forever.  so will this girl, this mere 19 year old baby........it makes me so angry.  she was violated.....  

many would argue, well she asked for it.......doesn't matter......rape is rape, and she didn't ask him to rape her.  she was out cold.  yes, had she been wide awake and sober, maybe it would not have happened.  but still doesn't give him the right to take what he wanted and then leave her to suffer.  

parents, hold tightly to your children........watch them, know where they are, what they are doing........and never stop praying for them.  we cannot save them from themselves once they start this type of destructive behavior, but if we build a good moral foundation, then if they live through these rebellious times, then they will have firm ground to stand on as they become true adults.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

A terrible story.  I am so sorry about your own experience.  I do hope that your daughter learns from this.  Sometimes being young does not turn out to be the fun you think it is going to be.  This young lady has learned a very hard lesson.  Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

yes that is a scarry thing. Its so awful. I cant believe she did not know it was happening. She must have had more than anyone can immagine. Thats awful. poor girl. Sure glad your daughter was safe. Poor thing. Girls just dont realize. that is why Tracy is 23 and still living athome with us. She had a girlfreind who moved out and this guy came to the door posed as a police officer at 4 am and said ........... that a guy wasloose int eh appartment building and he needed to check around. HE flahsed a badge and she let him in. He held her hostage for hours. It was horrible thing is this guy did this in other towns alot He is out now and never did much time for it. Cuase she LET him in. They said if he had kicked the door in it would be differnt but she let him in and so its her word against his!!!!!!!!! She also has another friend had something bad like that happen toher. girls just dont need to be alone. Lori

Anonymous said...

I hope he is caught and prosicuted and that she isnt terribly effected by it.

Anonymous said...

omg what a birthday gift. How dare that rotten little omg I will pray im sorry so so sorry. Rude awakening for your child. Destroyed emotions selfesteem for that other girl. I hope she isn't pregnant. Oh this is just so awful. I'm going to tell my 16 year old daughter and her friends this story.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about this young girl's terrible trial.  I will pray for her.  Unfortunately, as a mother of a teenaged girl, I all too well understand the idea of "it will never happen to me".  I was also raped as a teenager and as an adult.  It is something that happens all too often in this country.  It goes under-reported and under-prosecuted.  My prayers are with all affected.
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ValsThoughts

Anonymous said...

there is  no doubt this guy need sto be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.i know i should be alseep  right now but it has just been a very very long day. xsoxoxoxoxoxoxxo

Anonymous said...

i would like to discuss more on this if we could so lets leave it at that fornow.my mind is going in 20 different directions its been  a very very long day.i dont know what happened cause i wasnt in the exact place it did happen but three of my neighbors were murdered today incold blood , they have one suspect already in custody.it is definately a sad day and a heavey heart. michael

Anonymous said...

Terrible story.  I pray everyone gets through this without too many scars.  Maybe this event will open your daughters eyes?  One can hope!

~~Kath~~
http://journals.aol.comdklars/SecretGarden

Anonymous said...

That is a terrible thing to happen to any woman, I pray that the guy who did this is caught, and has to pay for what he has done. God Bless

Anonymous said...

Oh my,
What a horrible thing to happen!!  As a rape and domestic violence survivor, all I can say is that you can never be too cautious. I hope that your daughter's friend is okay, and getting the help that she needs!!

Kasey
http://journals.aol.com/ikoiko33/TheReturnofKaseypalooza

Anonymous said...

So sorry Regina-if you need to talk i am here.
Sharon

Anonymous said...

I understand how it feels knowing that your daughter is out there and the horrible things in the world are happening where she is. I will pray for her friend and your daughter. I will pray for you too.
Celeste

Anonymous said...

I AGREE WITH YOU, THIS GUY HAD NO RIGHT TO DO THIS. I DONT CARE HOW LOADED SHE WAS. IT DOESNT MATTER IF SHE HAD BEEN TOTALLY STARK NAKED LAYING THERE ASLEEP, HE DIDNT HAVE THE RIGHT TO LAY A FINGER ON HER. LET ALONE THE FACT THAT SHE WAS ASLEEP MINDING HER OWN BUSINESS. THEY SHOULD LOCK HIM UP AND THROW AWAY THE KEY. SIMPLE AS THAT. I AM SORRY FOR YOUR DAUGHTER AND HER FRIEND. I WILL BE THINKING ABOUT YOU ALL.
KIM.

Anonymous said...

Dear Lord I am so sorry for what happend to your daughters friend and you daughter that she had to learn a harsh lesson in life. I am a recovering drug addict and alcohlic 3 years now and I understand your feelings on drugs and acohol. It does lead you into situations that you later regret being in..but the sick part is we forget and go rite back. I to have been raped several  times because i was in places i shouldn't have been. It took a year of rape counceling to learn that it wasn't my fault. Just because a woman is drunk, or wearing that short skirt or walking a lone at night DOES NOT meen we want such a horrable thing doen to us! NO meens no and if we are unable to speak it still meens NO! Five of my nine children were concieved by a rape. Life is sometimes harsh to us and we don't allways understand why we must endor these things. My conclusion is...God still saw fit to make me a mother to these children..With my last..he is two and bi-racial..my attaker was black..I got to relive all that I had missed in my life with my other children because i was drunk or high all the time.
I hope all will be ok with your daughters friend..and God bless all of you.
Maribeth

Anonymous said...

God be with you and your daughter.  God also be with the young girl who was recently raped.  There is no valid reason for any kind of rape.  It is an act of hate and disrespect for women.  My abusive boyfriend, the one I lived with for almost two years before I came back to wv, physically abused me one night and then forced me to have sex.  A lot of people think rape comes from the unknown perpetrator hiding in the shrubbery.  But ususally it is someone the victim knows.  I am so very sorry for what happened to you.  And, you sound like a wonderful caring Mother to me.  Again, God bless you always.
deb