Monday, September 6, 2004

RETAIL SALES

ok, i started this journal to vent my emotions.  most of the time i am either depressed or joyous.  but i need to vent a little anger tonight. 

ANGRYSMILEYONSOAPBOX.gif

this entry may or may not appeal to journal readers.  but sometimes i have to just get things out to make myself feel human again......... thus, this entry.  angrysmiley.gif  

can i get a show of hands of those who currently or have previously worked in retail??? 1-2-3-4........HAND.bmp.....HAND.bmp....HANDWAVING.gifok, alot of you.  well, until august of 2003, i had never worked retail.  i was always a data entry clerk, or an office manager.  i shopped alot so i did come into contact with the retail employee on numerous occasions; sales associates, cashiers, customer service clerks, and managers.  i have always tried to be courteous, but in cases of whether i am right or the store is right about an issue, i have always stood my ground.  i don't necessarily believe the customer is always right, but if "I" am sure i am right, i will stick to my guns.  

when i go into any store, i.e. wal-mart, i find myself adjusting stock on shelves, putting things back in their proper place, picking fallen items up off the floor and placing them on the shelves.  that has always been me, the way i am.  yes, i have left an item in the wrong place before, and even felt guilty about it on the way home.  i am prone to panic attacks, and had a major one in a grocery store check-out lane once, and had to abandon my buggy full of groceries, and leave the store.  but i at least had the decency to push the buggy over to the customer service window, and told the clerk i had an emergency, and couldn't purchase or put back the items.  

i currently work for a major chain of craft stores.  our store is one of the biggest in the southeast.  we carry an extremely large variety of craft and home decor items.  and yes, it keeps all our employees pretty busy.

SALE.gif  

i love people....FROWNIESMILIE.gif.......usually.  since becoming a sales associate/cashier at this craft store, i have slowly developed a disliking to alot of people......i know i know........i should develop my patience and compassion more.........sorry, ain't gonna happen i don't think..........   let me ask you this......if you walk over to the buggy corral and get a buggy when you come in to shop.......why have you suddenly developed amnesia when it is time to put that same buggy back in the corral??  is the sea of bright orange buggies less obvious after 2 hours of shopping??  does the customer service area (where i spend 5-8 hours a day) seem like a more appropriate place to return that buggy?  obviously, since it seems every single buggy ends up there.......grrrrrrrr.......and i hate dozens of bright orange buggies crowding my space..........        

  SHOPPINGCARTSMILEY.gif

and when you pick up something from space A, and decide a minute later you don't want it, is space A too hard to find again?  so, let's put it in space T, at the end of the aisle, or possibly space Z on the next aisle.  yep, i always thought the bright pink feather boas looked better over in the wilton cake pan aisle.........grrrrrrrrr  

children........God's precious gift and promise to us.......but not someone who needs to go shopping with mom or grandma in a craft store........and especially not with dad....who doesn't want to be in the store in the first place.  i understand a newborn baby crying at the top of his/her lungs CRYINGBABY.gif, as well as a child 3-5 years old, who, after being drug store to store all day, is tired, hungry, and way past nap time.....but why are they there?  when they start crying incessantly for 10 minutes, isn't it time to leave the store, and maybe either go home for nappy time smileysleep.gif , or stop at mcdonald's for a happy meal and a romp in the balls?  sigh...........  

and do parents allow their children to just destroy their home, their room?  if not, then why is it ok for them to destroy our store?   SMILEYWITHSLINGSHOT.gif        SMILEYWITHCHAINSAW.gif one story comes to mind here that shows my point:  in december of 2003, a mother and her 2 children, a boy and a girl, both between the ages of 6-8, graced our store with their presence, and while the mother was shopping for last minute craft items for Christmas, the 2 children were making a game of taking the clear glass Christmas tree ornaments (of which there were hundreds in a bin) and smashing them on the floor, tickled pink with the way they "smashed" on the floor, and made that glass tinkling sound.  the mother was standing 3-4 feet away from them.........how could she not hear or see them???  fearing the safety of the children and other customers, our manager went to the mother and asked her to please have the children stop.  she gets indignant and flounces out of the store.  people!!!  

cell phones.....CELLPHONE.bmp.....yes, they have become a necessary evil......but not in a store at the check out counter.......unless you need to call someone to bring you money to pay for your purchase.  case in point:  just this week, i had a pregnant woman approach my register (which used to be the main customer service desk, but has been downgraded to just another register) and had her cell phone firmly plastered to her ear.  SMILEYGIRLONCELLPHONE.gif she put five items on the counter, still talking into the cell phone.  i greeted her, no response, then began the process of ringing up her "purchase".  upon completion of ringing her up, i stood there awaiting her payment.  she excuses herself from the person on the cell phone for a second, and asks me what i want or need.  i told her that her total was blah blah blah, and she snaps back at me, i am returning this stuff, not purchasing it.  then she told the person on the phone she would call them back.  finally!!!!!!!!  she threw down her receipt, and i said sorry ma'am, you were on your cell phone and didn't mention what you wished to do, and since your items were not in a bag, and i had no instructions from you, i wrongly assumed you wanted to make a purchase.  she said "when you pay my cell phone bill, you can complain about it!"  okey dokey!!  grrrrrrrrrrr.  then.......as i began the process of voiding the transaction, and then processing her return, she mutters that customer service in that store sucked.........ok, someone better sit on me...and quick.....grrrrrrrrrrr.  to make matters worse, i had to get her to complete the return form, which is easily misunderstood and often completed incorrectly.  i explained, as i do to all customers that have returns, that each item is under the heading........so, she completely screws up the form, and i asked her since she signed where the phone number goes, please just put it there...........and she slammed her hands on the counter, and says, that's it, that is it.  you people suck in here.  and then she proceeded to tell me she worked in customer service and she knew how it was supposed to be done, i didn't need to be telling her........ok, well then why didn't you do it right, right???  of course, i didn't say that.  it was hard not to.  and i pity that poor baby she is carrying.........i guess she used me to get even with all those people who mistreated her on her job.........sigh.      ok, i have vented, and feel somewhat better.  so......dear friends, please remember this........when you are in a retail store, please try to think about the poor sales associates who have to stay for an hour or more after the store closes, just to clean and straighten up the nastiness and thoughtlessness of others.......and put things neatly back where you found them........including those dang orange buggies...........

 ORANGESHOPPINGCARTS.bmp

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay do you feel better now. I agree with ou on the kids too. I want to spank a few in our stores. I want ot spank the parents too sometimes. I do have to say that  I wish walmart woud quit spending money and time paying thier employees to change shelfs and whole isles around and find time to teach thier employees customer servcie !!!!!! ours is terrible. ask for something and they tell you check and list off six differnet isles i have already been to. Maybe if they would quit moving stuff I could find it!!!!!!!!!! If I ask then they need to listen and help me find it or find someone who can help. They just list off the isles nad turn and walk away. I tell you one things that custoemrs did that shocked me was after the holidays I saw some bring back cans of pop and cookies and flour and seasonings. Several in line aheadof me did that rbought back grociers. One lady brought back steaks. I thought you could not do that!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR wont you drink that pop your broguht back in time. ?????? it wont ruin.

Anonymous said...

lol  u sound like  i feel  Kids wandering  through stores un watched  like it was disneyland and the carts were rides wildly sailing them into carefully  made displays.  yelling till ur ears bleed these same kids show  how much they can over rule the parents who wont take them out. i know the feeling i sold shoes for years lol and i still have both scars and nightmares.. hope such never hits u.
in respect and as always aaron

Anonymous said...

You have every right to "vent" and I don't blame you. Sounds like a bad day, everyday, right! It just gets to overwhelming at times and you just gotta bitch!

I work for a World Wide weight management company--hint WW! Make a little over minimum wage and YES-people can make your day a living hell (sorry for cursing), but it is so true. I like you, usually love people, but some are unloveable, unlikeable, untolerable and ungrateful. Sorry to say this also, but sometimes I just want to stand up, look them in the eye, say shut the hell up, SLAP them in the face and tell them to LEAVE. OMG....that is so not me, but when you are pushed to the limit, strange things happen. I know where you are coming from...I hear ya!
MAY WE HAVE BETTER DAYS WITH THE PUBLIC.
MAY THE PUBLIC BECOME MORE POLITE AND COURTEOUS.
{{{HUGS}}}....after days like this we need them.
SHARON

Anonymous said...

No. I have never worked in retail., but I understand wher you are coming from. I see rude customers on stores everytime I go in one it seems. You are a brave soul doing retail. Pray for your customers. They do need the help .God bless, Beckie

Anonymous said...

Ok Ok...I had to laugh almost through out this whole entry...Why...because I've worked in retail for about the last 12 years....I have worked for various major retail chains through out the years, yet I no longer..got tired of it ....You are probably the voice of all that has worked in retail...you don't know what I've seen through the years..you tend to look at people much differently after being in it for awhile..yes you have rude parents and their rude children..the old folks, the ones that demand you honor their expired coupons....and yes ofcourse the rude cell phone talkers..my favorite is when customers would bring their stuff up to counter to be rung up and find half of the stuff they bought they don't want or can't afford..or take it one step further..they pick at every one of the price tags worrying about if they are the right price...but I have learned that staying calm in the situation, will prevent the problem that you have from escalading, yes you do alot lip biteing..but saves an arguement..my thing was you get them out of the store as fast as possible so you no longer have to deal with them... with a smile ofcourse...

Mish

Anonymous said...

Okay Regina I guess you told us. Just kidding, I know you are right. I have actually seen kids riding the bicycles in Wal*Mart and playing ball in the isles. I have been guilty of not putting my shopping cart back, but on the other hand I do pick up things off the floor. Can't stand to walk over them. Paula

Anonymous said...

now I feel guilty. I'm sorry, okay? hee hee I'll put the stuff back where I got it from. I always put the buggies back, do I get any points for that?

Lahoma

Anonymous said...

well i must say  i  enjoyed this entry. we all need to vent. i have never worked in retail personally i have always worked construction building houses and apratments and restaraunts and stores. and now i work in  well you could say entertainment. i have always been a shopper  and for the most part love going to the store. me personally i think i am a very courteous shopper always put my buggy back and when i am on my cell phone i apologize to the register person who for the most part is fine with it.  but i loved the story and all the little charcters added a bit of comedy to it. very very well written and animated, definately got your point across.  lets all start a national holiday for the retail worker all in favor  say i want to eat ..........     ! everybody just raise your hands! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox michael

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Regina, I know what you go through in retail. When I lived in California I was a manager for K-mart and I went through the same stuff and more. Stay strong, take long deep breaths at work, thats what I used to do. LOL God Bless You

Anonymous said...

It my first time by,but i will return to catch up on all your entries!!It looks like alot of great stuff here!D

Anonymous said...

Venting is great!!!  This is my first visit to your journal.  I like it very much.  I always try to be courteous when I am in public.  I will always remember this entry when I consider whether I want to walk all the way back to the other side of the store to put something back that I don't want :-)  Take care!
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ValsThoughts

Anonymous said...

WOW I WOULD OF LOST MY JOB YOU DEFANTILLY HAVE MORE PAITINTES THEN ME!!!I HAVE A MOUTH WHEN I DEAL WITH THOUSE PEOPLE!!THEY JUST ERRITATE THE CRUD OUT OF ME TO KNOW END!!!!
WELL HERES ONE FOR YOU TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER ..I SPEND ALOT OF TIME WHEN I GO GROCERIE SHOPPPING PUTTING THINGS BACK THAT PEOPL PUT IN ANOUTHER PLACE,
AND MY KIDS HAVE LEARNED THAT IF THEY SEE SOMTHING ON THE FLOOR SOMEONE HAS CARLESSLY KNOCKED OFF THE SHELF THEY PIC IT UP AND PUT IT UP ...WITH OUT ME SAYING A WORD THEY GET JUST AS ANNOYED AS I DO WHEN A STORE IS CARLESSLY RAMSHACKED BYE CUSTEMERS WITH KNOW RESPECT ITS ACTULLY HOW FUNNY IT IS ON HOW UPSET THEY GET !!AND IF THEY SEE SOMEONE KNOCK SOMTHING OVER THEY IMBARRES THEM BYE TELLING THEM IT WAS RUDE TO JUST WALK AWAY AND THAT THEY SHOULDNT HAVE SOMEONE ELSE CLEAN UP THERE MESS LOL...I GET A KICK OUT OF THEM

Anonymous said...

I couldnt agree more...use to work at a reatail store and i couldnt beleive how and why people acted the way they did!Makes you see another side of the human race,lol...i guess youve got to bite your tongue when it comes to the pay check.Wouldnt it be great( one day if you knew you could get away with it)to just tell one of them OFF and say leave the store!!!!wishful thinking...Take care,D

Anonymous said...

I have also worked retail, a few years ago in another state. I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!! People are so rude, and know you can't return the insults. When I go shopping now, I'm always nice to the employees. If I am at check out, and a customer is giving them a hard time...I say something. Rude is Rude, and I will not tolerate it anymore. Just because the customers are having bad days...you don't need to pass it on. And those that don't watch their children, drive me nuts! Sorry, this is so long. Stopped in to read and got carried away.

~Deborah

Anonymous said...

I work in retail. I tell you it takes a special person to do the job. lol  Some customers you just want to slap some sense and manners into. lol
Hang in there!
Martina