Monday, May 14, 2007

HOMELESS

She sits alone, skin wrinkled with years of hard life

She has such a story to tell, but no one to hear

Long ago she was abandoned by family and friends

Because she chose drink over living for so long

She no longer is slave to the liquid, but her fate is sealed

All have passed her by and moved on

Is she damaged goods, not worthy of our listening?

Is she forever silenced because we don’t care?

She is someone’s daughter

She is someone’s mother, or sister

She exists only in her own mind

She relives the past daily, but has no one to share it with

Don’t cross the street to avoid her

Cross the street to meet her, and hear her story

Maybe she is a little crazy, maybe not

What can you possibly lose by listening?

What a multitude you could gain...........

(by Regina)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very good, and brought to mind a homeless lady that has been wandering the streets since I was a child here in my home town.

Greg

Anonymous said...

very good reminds me of my story about the shopping cart angel.
yours is much better than mine .. lol...
good work

Anonymous said...

Very touching. we had what I called The Buggy Man when I lived in san antonio. I wrote a poem about him. Paula