Monday, May 28, 2007

DISAPPOINTMENT

we raise our children the best we can, and then, after they are grown and out of the house, they do things that both pleasantly surprise us, and sadly disappoint us. 

i was working the other night when my lovely daughter came into the workplace.  she looked angry, with a menacing scowl on her beautiful face.  i thought she was upset with her bf or someone else.  but, after i finished waiting on my customer, she came around and loudly announced she was very unhappy........with me.  ME!!!  ok, i do a reader's digest version of the list of things i could possibly have done to have caused this ire and come up with nothing.  so i asked her what on earth did i do.  she said i hadn't paid my car insurance premium and they were calling her day and night harassing her over it. 

well, first of all, let me explain why she is involved.  she recently learned i couldn't buy my car insurance and it was lapsed.  so she contacted my insurance company and paid it for me.  it was close to $200.  it was considered a mother's day gift.  that is, unless i didn't keep up the subsequent premiums.  then it became a loan, to be paid back in full.  i understood her reasoning, and agreed, even though i had planned on paying her back anyway. 

i paid my premium........on time.........and yet they called her.  they woke her up at 8 am after she had worked a late shift the night before.  so i can understand her being angry.  but NOT AT ME!  she didn't even give me time to answer before she started yelling at me about not paying my premium.  i even told her that i had the receipt in my purse if she wanted to wait till i could take a break and go show her.  she continued to fuss, even with customers nearby, so i just told her not to come on my job yelling at me about something over which i had no control and wasn't my fault.  she flounced off out the door.  i called to her that i still loved her.........i do.

on my break i called the number she gave me to call at the insurance company, and the young man was very apologetic, and told me that they had my daughter's number down as the contact number.  i told him no, she was the EMERGENCY contact number, and there didn't seem to be an emergency, so why was she called.  he deleted her number completely, told me the payment had been received, and put me on the "do not call" list.  it is an automated call center that calls you several days before the payment is due and starts reminding you that a payment is due.  but my daughter told me that the person she talked to told her that i hadn't paid my premium yet.  so i am not sure what happened, but the insurance company got an earful from me, as i did from my daughter.

i called my daughter's cell phone and left her a detailed message as to what the man said and told her i loved her, and as of yet, i haven't heard a word back from her.  i just don't get it.  how can a young person have so much anger inside of them.......over something that wasn't even my fault.  i wish i understood.  i wasn't that sort of young person, so i don't understand these feelings.  oh well, no matter what, i still love her..................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes these blowups are the culmination of lots and lots of thing going on.  I have been guilty of these very blowups with my Mother recently with all that I am having to do for her.  Occasionally, that last straw gets placed upon my back and before I know it, I'm going nuts.  When I'm done venting, I calm down and can put everything back in perspective.  Hopefully, this is what is going on with your daughter, and she will call you and the two of you can get past this.

Greg