Tuesday, May 1, 2007

POOLSIDE

i had to come to the library to do some research, since i cannot keep a signal at home for more than 20 minutes, so decided i would relate the story of my yesterday.

my daughter hardly ever calls me, other than on my birthday and mother's day, and occasionally other holidays.  i usually work on mondays, but for some reason, i was not scheduled to work yesterday.  i was about to get out of the house and just "do" stuff that didn't cost me anything, like riding around some of the countryside nearby and taking pictures (see, greg, you have rubbed off on me).  just as i was about to step out the door, my cell rang.  no one ever calls me unless it is work wanting to know if i can come in, so i grabbed it, thinking i might get an extra day in this week.  nope.......it was my daughter.  she said she was bored, and wanted to know what i was doing the rest of the afternoon.  i told her i was actually doing nothing, but was bored as well.  she told me she was out by the pool at her apartment complex, and wanted me to come over and share the afternoon with her.  so, i jumped in the shower, shaved the small forest off my legs, and grabbed my stuff and ran over there.

there were only 2 other people there when i got there, a mom and her child, as well as my own daughter.  the pool was crystal clear and smelled like a pool.......i love that smell, second only to the smell of the ocean.

my daughter told me the water was cold, which disappointed me since i love to swim, even though i look like a small whale when i do swim.  i lay out by the pool with her for awhile and was really enjoying soaking up rays, especially since i can't access any sun from my house, other than in the front yard, and there is a church across the street from me, and i don't think it is appropriate for me to sun bathe in front of the church.

soon, it got a little warm (it is close to 85 today, and was near that yesterday), so we both got into the water.  it WAS cold.  after toying with the idea for some time, i decided to get out.  then my daughter's boyfriend came by and we all sat under the umbrella and talked.  the two of them were fighting like they were married.........it was funny.

while they were talking, i decided to get back into the pool.  i walked in slowly, then just sucked in my breath and dove in.  WOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!!  it was COLD!!  but after the initial shock, and after i got my breath back, i swam around the pool several times.  it was so relaxing and refreshing.  i had gotten so wrapped up in my mostly miserable life, i had forgotten what just being free and having fun was all about.  it was something i really needed.

later in the day my daughter's roomie and the roomie's little girl came home, and came up to the pool.  we were all laying out in the sun and suddenly i felt a spray of cold water on my other side.  i turned to look and there was an elderly gentleman settling down in the lawn chair next to mine.  there were about 20 other chairs in the pool area that were not being used, but he came over there to where we were and lay down on the one right up next to me.  i wasn't sure what to think at first.  he looked to be about 70, tanned, bald, and had a severely broken toe, which had mended incorrectly and looked really strange.  i spoke, he spoke, and that was it.

i later got up and sat in the chair under the umbrella with my daughter, and the older gentleman was trying to get up and asked if he could support himself on the back of my chair.  i told him he was welcome to.  he grunted and walked slowly home.

my daughter says he is always up at the pool, and obviously has no family living with him, and seems very lonely.  i told her i hope he wasn't flirting with me, lol.  she said he was just a really sweet older man.

the day went really well, and gave me a new outlook on life.  the circumstances i related in my last entry haven't gone away, but things look a little better now that i am looking through sunburned eyes, lol.

oh, and a lady has asked me to help her decorate candles she makes with beads and pearls, etc. for the festival that is coming in the middle of may.  hopefully that will give me some more moolah to pay bills with.

thanks to everyone out there that has ridden this roller coaster of life with me.  though i feel better about things, i still may not be here as often to write.  so hang in there, and when your knot slips, pull yourself up, tie it tighter, and HANG ON BABY!

                          

                                

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could feel that cold water as you described it. Glad you had a nice day with your daughter. My youngest daughter is like that. She says she doesn't know anything to e-mail about then if I just ignore her she will finally call and talk a long time. These girls! Paula

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you had a relaxing day at the pool with your daughter.  What a nice surprise to have her call you...even though it did interrupt a destination free drive around the countryside.  I think you deserved your day, and I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Greg