Saturday, March 15, 2008

THE BLAME GAME

december 1, 1985 was one of the best days of my entire life.  though in a whole lot of pain and suffering, the result was well worth it.  i had my daughter, at 10:55 pm.  almost 10 lbs. (9 lbs. 15 oz.).  i have a rather ugly vertical scar on my abdomen that proves she was a part of me for 9+ months (she was a week post mature).  other than trying to regain my strength while nursing, healing and learning to be a mom, as well as putting up with a husband who had no clue what to do, with me or our child, i was happy about her arrival.  granted, i had never really thought of myself as a mother, and wasn't sure i would ever be able to be one, since i never got pregnant with my first husband.  but after hearing her scream at delivery, seeing her chubby red face shortly after birth, and seeing her smile for the first time, i realized i was going to love being a mother.

of course, there was the colic, the diaper rashes, the constant eating, throwing up, then eating again, the chicken pox (which i, too, got) but motherhood was mostly good the first 3 years.  then daddy decided he wanted to play house elsewhere, and did.  he had a child with another woman and married her while still married to me.  sigh........suddenly my world changed.

i am not good with stress.  most of us aren't.  from the day he left, i stayed stressed, except when i was depressed and would sleep for many hours at a time.  i guess it was posthusband depression, instead of postpartum.  my world crumbled around me.  i lost my home on the courthouse steps.  without realizing it, i pulled away from my daughter in many ways.  but i never let a day go by that i didn't hug her and tell her i loved her.

at age 10, she joined the church and was baptized.  i was elated.  she became a missionary for our church, doing good deeds for others who, like we had been, were less fortunate.  she was a great student, enjoying reading and learning.  then, she became a teenager.  things went downhill.  i didn't know how to cope with that either.  soon, the child i had given birth to......loved.......became a stranger.  i discovered her social activities by reading her emails.  i was shocked she was behaving as she was.  how did i not know?  then, the day before she turned 17, she showed up with a couple of friends and a truck, and moved out...........of our house, and mostly out of my life.  there were signs of healing, then something would happen to divide us again.

now she is 22.  though we were together for 17 years, she has built a completely new and different life in the last 5.  i don't know her anymore.  i take the blame for much of it, due to my not being able to cope with raising a child by myself, with little to no child support and no emotional support from her father.  i don't make excuses for the things i did, or failed to do.  and though she may be part the blame for the wedge between us, as my child, i cannot put that blame on her.  all i want is a decent, healthy relationship with her.

her latest email to me reeked of anger, hurt, disappointment.......all directed at me.  i don't know what to do to repair the damage.  many say the damage cannot be repaired, but a new relationship can be built.  she is not open to that, at least not now. 

all i pray is that God willwatch over her, guide her, and keep her safe until she chooses to rebuild our relationship.  i just hope i am still alive to welcome her with open arms.

keep us in your prayers.........please.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear Wum....You are and will continue to be in my prayers.  what your daughter learnt about God all these years ago will come back one day I am sure and she will be reminded that LOVE One ANOTHER  is the secnd most important commandment and then I hope she will remembet the good times she did have with you and will come back.  Much Love Sybil x

Anonymous said...

Wow, I don't think I had ever heard the entire story before...at least not in one concise place.  I hate that your daughter has chosen a life without you in it.  I still hold on to the hope that one day she will decide that she wants to have you back in her life...maybe not the old relationship, but possibly an entirely new one.  I know that this weighs heavily on you and it is something that you think about often.  That just shows the love you have for her.  I do hope it all works out, and you can once again be a part of your daughter's life.

Greg

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))I am sorry this happend,it is so sad.I will be raying that your Daughter will come to relize She needs you and wants to have a reltionship with you.Just know,God loves you.

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you to be able to cope with this sadness and for your daughter to come to her senses. Paula

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you and your daughter. I had a somewhat simular situation with my Mom many, many years ado. It all ended well and we are now and have been for many years close as close can be. But, it took time. I had to heal and truely forgive the past. Don't give up. Give her some time and keep in touch as much as she allows.

God Bless,
Tia

Anonymous said...

Regina,
I hope with you that you can find reconciliation with your daughter. I will point you to one J-lander who is going through the same experience, by email.

Guido

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you are going through this -
I will keep you in my prayers.
love,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry to hear about all that you have been through and hope and pray that your daughter will realise that she willonly ever have ONE mother.

No matter how hard it may seem at the moment i hope and pray that you will be able to somehow see eye to eye with each other in the near future

hugs Jayne

Anonymous said...

She has some growing up to do and when she does  finally-she will want her mommy-gauranteed/////////

Anonymous said...

hi; I came to your journal by way of Guido;

best thing you can do is pray for her and trust in God and remember the story of the prodigal son

don't blame yourself; my 2 kids are far from perfect and have made so many bad decisions and I could blame myself for how they turned out, but I (and you) did the best you could with what you had to work with; it comes a time they have to stop blaming their parents and start taking responsibility for their lives; so don't blame yourself

betty

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you for comfort and with her for healing.... and I do pray also that you can rebuild and make new memories together as a family.  Many children don't realize the bond until they have children of their own.... then they see things quite differently.

Joann

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you are going through this! My ex decided he wanted to be free, travel and meet new people ( his words) after 11 yrs, but so much for being free, he moved his bimbo in to his love shack days after moving out of here!! I have been raising 4 kids for the last 6 yrs alone! So I know how you feel! It isn't easy!  
I will keep you in my prayers!

~~~Make it a Great Day~~~
               Sharon
http://journals.aol.com/buggieboo1/ImASurvivor/

Anonymous said...

You two need a night in a locked room with a bottle of wine and a box of tissues.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear you are going through such a painful time.  I do hope your relationship can be repaired and you will once again share your lives.  My thoughts & Prayers are with you both.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hey Baby Doll, quit beating yourself up over this.  At some point in time a child must take responsibility of their own choices and decisions.  And at some point in time a parent must let them, whether or not the child is ready to do so.  In time she will look back and realize the truth.
Do you remember your teenage years?  It hasn't been that long ago.  I still remember mine.  I found an old diary and read it.  My innocent and ignorant words embarassed me.  Was I really that naive and vain?  Yes, I suppose I was.  Was I really that stupid and inconsiderate?  Sadly, yes.
My parents didn't agree with me, and they certainly didn't encourage my reckless and irresponsible ways but they made sure I knew that they loved me unconditionally.  Thank God for that because it was easy for me to later admit my faults and know that I was still a welcomed member of the family.
Hang in there my friend.  You're a good mother.  It will all work out in time.
Dorn~

Anonymous said...

Aw, don't be so hard on yourself.  I'm a divorced parent of three and a hug and love is the most necessary thing.  She made the choice as a teenager to go off the beaten path.  I've learned not to carry the guilt for a teenager's decisions.  She is wedging you out because, I believe, she knows you would not approve of her what she is doing right now.  One day she will become mature and realize who is the one who loves her most.  Keep the faith, pray, and hold your head high....she'll be back.  They always do come back.  I'm coming by way of Guido.  Hugs n Love, Chris  BTW:  My youngest daughter was born in 1986 so I have many of the same issues.

Anonymous said...

We all have mother guilt.  I do about all my children.  They made some choices as teenagers and have wedged me out and villainized me as well.  Half the time I agree with them that I should be punished by their absence, and the other time I grieve and grieve, and then there are times when I'm just angry.  I wasn't that bad.  I was not perfect but I loved them.  Even crack head prostitute mom's get more love than I do.  You are deserving of love and respect.  If it wasn't for you she wouldn't be old enough to even fight with you.  One day she will come to regret her every word to you.

I am so sorry you are going through so much pain with her right now.  My heart hurts for you.


Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PRAYINGANDBELIEVING/