Saturday, March 29, 2008

A RAINY NIGHT IN GEORGIA

The previous entry was just a fictional story, loosely based on my house and some of the little furballs that hang out here from time to time. 

                                

It has rained hard and steady for several hours now.  We really need the rain, but this is a torrential downpour.  I have a really bad leak in my spare bedroom, which, before tonight, wasn’t THAT bad.  Now the water is dripping from the ceiling onto the hardwood floor.  Guess Monday I will be contacting the landlord……………sigh.

                               

I am truly surprised I still have an Internet connection.  Usually with this much lightening, the signal disappears.  I am not complaining though.  I usually have to link through the First Baptist Church across the street, but tonight I am connected through the city’s free wifi. 

 

I have had a chance to catch up on reading some of the journals I have neglected.  I have missed a lot, it seems.  I am also getting to know some new journals by way of scanning the “other journals” list in some of my regular readers’ journals.  Some of these I will be adding to MY list of “other journals”.

 

I am still trying to upload the rest of the “Granny Gone Wild” photos, but something is keeping me from doing so.  I thought it was my weak connection, but that hasn’t been the problem tonight.  One of my readers mused as to whether or not the photos of Granny were retouched…………nope.  After I get the others into the entry, you will see that they are all of Granny herself, all 50 pounds of her, lol.  I didn’trealize they made thongs that small, lol.

 

I made a really big mistake at work on Saturday.  What I did later, though, is really what counts.  There is a woman who works with me that most everyone has problems with at one time or another.  She is elderly, from the north (hates the south and living here) and is quite intelligent, which causes her to “talk down” to people in a very condescending way.  Most of the regular customers know her and her personality.  I had a customer ask a question about pricing of a couple of items and I made a comment that wasn’t very flattering about the person who priced them, who just happens to be the women mentioned above.  That woman is on vacation this week, so there was no fear of her hearing me.  Normally, the comment would have been made and I would never have given it a second thought.  But today, one of my other co-workers heard the comment.  She called me on it.  And then she told another co-worker, who also called me on it.  At first I was shocked they heard me…..I had been caught.  Then, I felt badly that I had said what I did.  I took a moment and went back to the back and called the 2 women who knew I said it to the corner and apologized to both of them, saying I was way out of line for doing what I did.  Theyboth waved off the offense as if it were nothing, and said they really thought nothing of it, but at the time they approached me about it, they were both very upset, as well they should have been.  But I set things right with them, which lifted a very heavy burden off my own shoulders.  A lot of ill is spoken around that place, about everyone at one time or another.  Never has anyone else apologized for something they said or did.  So I feel I did what my heart and conscience dictated, and I can sleep really well tonight.  Ok, so maybe I am patting myself on the back a little………

                            

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on you for apologising.  So many problems arise because folks just won't say sorry.  it is such a little word..and really not so difficult to say. My sister works a lot on appeals for Social Services where a family has felt let down by social services in one way or another and Sarah has said that if right at the beginning, someone had just said sorry. it would never ever have reached the stage where there is a real stand off. and money being spent trying to defend someone who was probably under pressure in the beginning but just needed to say sorry.   Have a good week dear friend.  Love Sybil x

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))That took a lot of courge to say Sorry.I probllay would have done the same thing.You did the right thing.Have a good Sunday.

Anonymous said...

dear friend i am glad your still connected
sorry about the rain and the complaining northerner not all are this way
some know that the true grace of the land still belongs down south
i enjoyed many of your entries and count myself lucky to read them
as always a friend

Anonymous said...

It was a rainy night in south texas too last night. Rain, wind and hail. we are very thankful for the rain though. Hope you are having a nice Sunday. Paula

Anonymous said...

Workplaces can be pitches for bitches, Regina, but you've done the right thing there. You're quite right to feel pleased for yourself :-))

Anonymous said...

At the end of the day, all that really matters is that you can look yourself in the face and sleep the night away with a clear conscious.

Greg

Anonymous said...

the following comment was originally deleted at the request of the writer.  i am putting it back in, without any identifying information, to protect my commenter (and friend).

"I have ate humble pie on the job before and it doesn't taste very good at all!The blessing that came into my life after that was awesome. I know you will receive one too for doing what God would want you to do in your life.I didn't know they made thongs that small either, or as I like to call it, Dental floss from the butt.  That's what it looks like with the string there.  It would aggravate me.  I don't know how that'd be comfortable.  Just me. (anonymous)