Thursday, March 13, 2008

in 1972 i graduated from a brand new high school.  we even had to go split shift at another jr. high while the school was being built.  there was no graffiti on the walls.  the art teacher got permission to allow the lower campus wall leading to the gym to be used for "creative murals", giving anyone who wanted the chance to add to the theme of the mural (with supervision).there were no doors missing in the bathrooms.  toilet paper was allowed in each stall because no one used it for anything other than what it was meant for....or the sniffles.  you didn't have to have a hall pass because when you asked to go somewhere, the teacher could trust you to go and return without incident.  it was during the latter years of the hippy era, yet almost every student in that school respected the staff and took interest in keeping the school "like new".

at least once a week you hear something on the news about that school.  and it is seldom good.  the campus has grown much larger than when i went there, as well as the number of students attending.  we had a very small graduating class, but everyone knew everyone and at reunions even now almost every person knows how to reach someone they attended school with. 

teachers cannot teach school anymore........they are too busy policing the students.  my daughter, who is now 22, had to attend algebra class in 10th grade in a trailer where the teacher, a first year public school teacher, was too intimidated by the thug-like students to teach the math she was paid to teach. 

i remember little about my early childhood years.  i am not sure why unless my father intimidated me so much i pushed all those horrible memories to the back of my subconscious.  but i do remember a lot of my high school years because i was happy then.  i had friends, i mean real friends.  i dated the same boy all throughout high school, so i never had to worry about a date to the dance or prom. 

i know things have to change.....that is life.  but not for the worse......

share your memories with me about your high school years. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))Thank you for sharing your story with me.I was born in 1972.My Highschool year,I belive was pretty good,till my Mom and Dad found me the right school were I belong to.Its a pplubic school and I had friends,even thoe I ws in special ed.I loved it.Thats another entry to as why it was hard for m parents to find me a good school.But I loved my highschool.I wasnt popular,bt,it made me not be as shy as I was.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your memories. There was only 19 in my graduating class. Only one building and now that school has buildings all over. No gym and we didn't have a choice of subjects. A certain church discouraged the school from having proms. How sad! I bet they have them now. I still keep in touch with friends from that school. Paula

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid it's all changed nowadays..I often wonder why ? and never come up with a definate answer I am afraid neither do I come up with any answers as to how the "don't care" attitude can be changed.  Loe Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

The world has changed a bunch since I was in school.  While my HS is still a pretty good school, I don't recognize it with all the additions.  When I went 88-92 there were about 25 trailers spread out on both sides of the campus.  Now, they have done away with the trailers and have built an extension onto the school that doubles its size, and then another stand alone building.  I don't really keep up with the goings on, but I'm sure there are many of the same problems as the kids around here are pretty much like everywhere else.  There are just more and more bad seeds in the bunch, and they are causing more and more problems...much more serious than the pranks and bullying that went on when I was there.

Greg

Anonymous said...

I hear you gentle friend
it started with states and government telling parents how to parent
and then not allowing them to do so
because the school had one rule the home another
as they say a house divided against itself can not stand
very good article gentle friend
hope all is well
i enjoyed this one
say hi to the kitty and everyone

Anonymous said...

You are quite right, Regina, things have changed and not for the better.