Thursday, April 24, 2008

GHOST STORIES (PART 1)

Wait no longer......GHOST STORIES is here.

#1)  From Greg, over at (http://journals.aol.com/radar446/PhotoTrek/):

Jennifer and I lived in an apartment which had been there since the early 60's according to the management. It was a two bedroom deal with one of the bedrooms used as an office.  There was a hall that led from the bedrooms down to a den on the right with a pass through to the living room.  The living room also opened up to the dining room at the end of the hall.  The kitchen was off to the side and went between the dinging room and the hall.

 

Anyway...Jennifer worked at night as a waitress so I was home alone till about 11pm during the week.  I would sit in the office and play on the computer for most of that time.  Every once in a while I would get this sensation that I was being watched.  I would turn around and would swear that I would see something in the doorway heading down the hall.  I didn't think much about it, thinking I was seeing things.  I never got up to look, because I didn't hear anything, so I knew nobody was in the hall.

 

I then started getting that same feeling when I was in the living room at night watching TV.  I would look up and would see something..just a shadow in the doorway leading to the kitchen.  The shadow would run back down the hall, and I could see him through the den (remember the doors in these room allowed a clean view into the hall).  After a while I started to be able to see a shape, and could recognize him as a man, and eventually, I could make out features and clothing.  He was a white guy, kind of stocky with a red and black plaid shirt, blue jeans, suspenders, toboggan, and brown boots.  He had a moustache and full beard with a medium brown hair color.  I wasn't able to make all this out at one time.  Each time I saw him, I would see more of him, and be able to make out more and more details.

 

I was convinced that I was going nuts, and wrote it all off as being tired...maybe sniffing too many chemicals at the body shop I worked at.  Whatever it was, I knew I wasn't seeing what I thought I was.  The only times I saw him was at night in either the living room, or the office.  I would never see him anywhere else in the apartment, nor would I ever hear him.  However, if I was in either of those rooms, and felt like I was being watched...I would see him...every time.

 

We moved from the apartment when I got hired with the PD and we moved to another city. About a year and a half after we moved, I had just about forgotten about seeing this figure until one day at a friends house.  Jennifer and I were visiting her and the subject of ghosts came up.  I immediately remembered my friend from the previous apartment.  I thought that I might as well share my kooky story and let everyone laugh at me.

 

I began to tell the story and when I got to the part where I would see a shadow run down the hall I happened to look over at Jennifer...........

 

I can only describe the look on her face as terror.  She lost all color in her skin, her eyes dilated, and she was breathing very heavy..........

 

She simply said........

 

You saw him too??

 

Immediately chills went through my body and I knew that what I had seen was real.  I began to describe him to her, and she finished the description for me.  We both remembered the exact same details about him.  She had only seen him from those same two rooms...just as I had.  It was always when she was home alone, and always when she got the feeling that she was being watched.

 

To this day, we refer to him as our ghost.  Strangely enough, we miss him.

 

#2) From Barbara (no journal listed, email: bhbner2him):


"Mine concerns Bragg Light on Bragg Road between Saratoga and Kountze, TX.  Several different stories abound.  You can search it.  There was a hotel ran there. The Railroad ran nearby.  Through the woods.  Supposedly a conductor was decapatated and searches still for his head in the woods.  When you drive down the road at night you can often encounter a floating light there.  It will seemingly chase after or follow your car.  Many, many people have seen the light.  I have.  Different theories about what exactly it is.  -  Barbara"

 

#3)  From Lisa over at   (http://journals.aol.com/wwfbison/life-on-a-bison-farm/):

 

My story isn't in my own home but rather my mothers.  She & my step-dad live in an old farmhouse situated in the middle of the farm.  They have remodeled and added a large addition but the one thing they didn't count on was sharing the house with a spirit or as I call her, a ghost.

 

I volunteered to stay at my moms house for a weekend to care for her 6 dogs while she took a short getaway.  I had heard the tales of the ghost and I didn't think about it all when I agreed to babysit the dogs.

 

The first night I was in the house I noticed the upstairs was significantly colder than the downstairs.  I figured it was the air conditioning since there are actual holes in the floor from long ago to let the heat rise into the bedrooms when the house was heated only by a fireplace.

 

I tried to enter the extra bedroom and found the door was locked, or so I thought.  I jiggled the door knob and it is the old style with the latch style lock on it.  I realized the door was not locked but rather something was holding it shut.  Chills ran up my spine and my heart began to race.   The stories my mom had told me about the ghost came into my mind.  The stove being turned on while nobody was in the kitchen, items being moved across the floor, doors slamming without explanation.

 

I ran downstairs and sat with the dogs in the backroom of the house and watched television until I fell asleep only to woken by a very loud thud.  I took the dogs with me and went upstairs to find the door to the room I had been trying to enter was wide open and still swinging.  I ran downstairs again and didn't venture up the steps the rest of the night.

 

Morning came and as always I felt better with the light of day.  I thought perhaps the whole thing was my imagination.  I had heard so many stories about the ghost I figured subconsciously Imust have planted the seed in my mind.

 

I took care of the dogs, did all of the farm chores and headed home.  It only takes me 2 minutes to walk home but I drove since I had my overnight bag with me.  I got into my car, backed out of the driveway and waited for the electric gates to the entrance of the farm to open...while I was sitting there waiting for the gates to open I happened to glance up at the second story of the house and what I saw still gives me chills to this day.

 

A woman was looking out the window.  She was older with gray hair pulled tightly back in a bun.  She had a flowered dress on, the type with the doily like collar and lace.  She was a larger woman, stocky and tall.  She was standing in the window of the room I could not enter the night before and she watched me leave.  She was as clear as you or I.

 

When I described her to my mom she knew exactly what I was going to say ...it was the same ghost she has seen many times.

 

She is most active in July.  My mom pulled the mantle out of the barn which was from the original farmhouse which had burned to the ground.  The replacement farmhouse also burned to the ground, in both instances the mantle survived.  She had that mantle installed in her living room over her fireplace when they remodeled.  The only date she can see on the very heavy slate mantle is July 18?? . 

Lisa

 

Due to lack of space, the next 2 stories will be in the next entry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved all these stories Regina. This was a neat idea. I don't have one to tell thank goodness, I'm a scaredy cat. My daughter and granddaughter stayed in a haunted house once when Stacey was in Hunter Jumping competition. They couldn't find a motel and had to stay in this out of the way place. I wish I could remember what all she told me but it gave me chills and I would have not stayed there another night. Paula

Anonymous said...

The first one sounds strangely familiar.  Can't wait to see the next ones.  This was a really good idea.

Greg

Anonymous said...

I knew what Greg was saying when he said he & Jennifer finished each others description.  Cool idea Regina!
Lisa