Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I MADE IT THROUGH APRIL FOOL'S DAY

i cannot believe i made it through april fool's day without incident.  one of the volunteers did play a joke on another of the volunteers, but that was the extent of april fool's in my immediate vicinity. 

i had a customer go off on me today, all because a yard sale sticker was left on an item and they wanted it for that price, which was about $4.99 less than what we would have charged.  i was not rude to them, just told them that was a yard sale sticker, and i told them i would call someone else up to price it for them.  when she went outside where they were, they told her i was rude and wouldn't let them have the item for the price marked.  when she came back in, she told me to give it to them for that price and then when i told her how they jumped me, she said they told her i was rude to them.  when i tried to explain that it was them that jumped me, she said they weren't the only ones that complained i was rude.  well, i was livid.  customers will say anything to reach their desired goal.  the only people i usually have any problems with are those i won't give in to on a price.  we have rules, and i try to keep them.  but when she told me that, i had to tell her something.  i get complaints on everyone there, both employees and volunteers, but i don't ever say anything to the director or assistant director because i realize everyone has a bad day now and then.  the very woman who was standing there telling me i was rude to a lot of customers gets more complaints than anyone else, but most are directed at me by the customer.  she has been called mean, hateful, and rude by numerous people.  well today i told her that.  and i told her that i don't bring it up to her or anyone else because i knew how customers were.......the means to an end.  complain, gain YOUR confidence, and maybe you will get something for nothing. 

the woman shook her head and disappeared.  a few minutes later i found her in the assistant director's office, crying, and i guess telling her what happened.  no one ever mentioned it again, though.  about an hour later the woman came up to me and gave me a beautiful shower curtain ensemble, saying it was stained, but could be washed, and she thought i might want it since they were going to throw it out.  i guess that was her way of apologizing to me, or her way of letting me know she wasn't going to let me upset her, or her way of trying to prove she WASN'T mean and nasty.  i know i am venting here, but it saddens me when people believe the customers story without even coming to me for my side of the story.  heck, even the sweet, even-tempered, naive girl who is the head cashier has had complaints against her.  people are just going to be people.

sigh.........................

i had a surprise visit today at work from a friend.  it was a nice ending to a rough and long day.

i am off tomorrow and though i would love to sleep all day, i need to get some housecleaning and furniture moving done.  if the weather is nice, i will unload the junk out of my car and start moving things around in the house so that the movers can get the rest of the furniture in.  i would also like to have lunch with my old housemate, betty, again.  i am craving chinese food, but  not sure she would want to go to a chinese restaurant.  i guess i could call and see.

since i never know what type of problems i might encounter on here, i better close this and save it for now.  i might come back and write another entry later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would have either been the one who cried or the standing up for myself.  With me, it can go either way.  You were strong though and told her how it was and I'm proud of you and impressed.  It sounded to me like she had a guilty conscience.  Or like you say, was just trying to 'prove' that she wasn't rude.  Either way, she looked like the truth hurt.

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PRAYINGANDBELIEVING/

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had such a rough day at work.  I really don't think I would like to work with the general public !  Is there no way that you can compromise on prices ? over here especially in charoty shops if we find an article but we think it is just to expensive we can ask for a reduction and iften the assistant can do that. After all all the goods have been given freely...Anyway have a good ay off and relax and enjoy whatever you decide to do. Love Sybil x

Anonymous said...

It only takes one experience like that to ruin an entire day.  I hate that you had to go through that.  It does sound like that is the last you will hear from it which is good.

Greg

Anonymous said...

Yes people are rude and can be hateful...but being in a customer service business...unfortunately...they are ALWAYS right even when they are wrong.

Sorry about the rude lady....and yes, I believe she was trying to make nice to you.

Michele