Saturday, April 19, 2008

PROGRESS? OR CAUSE FOR MORE PROBLEMS?

this entry is mostly about a strange thought that came into my head while watching tv earlier this evening.  in february of 2009, according to all of the reports, television will no longer be analog.  all signals will be digital high definition, and, unless you have cable or dish tv, you will no longer be able to receive analog signals on older model tvsi recently ordered 2 of the free coupons for $40 off a digital converter box to allow me to continue to watch tv on my older set.  there is absolutely nothing wrong with my tv.  it has a great picture, sound is excellent, color is great, it has a remote............so i don't want to buy another tv.  the converter box should do it or me........i hope.

but, thinking about digital signals and high definition, i remembered some recent tv entertainment shows saying how the stars were concerned about looking horrible on the digital screen.  modern technology is changing the face of the world, one actor at a time.  hollywood is already full of actors and wanna-be actors going under the knife to be "perfect" and to land that "perfect" part.  so what is going to happen when digital high def is all there is?  the plastic surgeons will be turning people away due to so many requests for "improvements".  so, we have a problem................more plastic surgery, more chances for someone to get an infection and possibly even die from complications. 

this may not seem an important issue, or you might say, well that is their problem, not mine.  if they want to take that chance to be a star on high def tv, they will have to accept the consequences.  well, that may be true, but other than the moral issue here of being concerned about another human being's life, there is the fact that, due to having to have more cosmetic work done, the stars will require more money for their services as actors, and that will drive prices of everything in the entertainment world up up up.  not only that, but makeup artists will be getting a higher salary, hiding blemishes that weren't visible before.  i think i am in the wrong line of business..........i need to be either a makeup artist, or cosmetic surgeon, lol.

i cannot believe that i have had uninterrupted wifi service for the last 4 days.  of course, now i have probably jinxed myself.

i had to work today and, though it was a busy day, it went relatively well.  of course, i am tired, and my poor achilles tendon and my heel are killing me.  we did well money-wise today, and even got a head start on monday's intake. 

i had my lunch bought for me today........not sure by whom........but one of my co-workers or one of the volunteers bought everyone lunch from wendy's.  5 of us sat out at the picnic table under the trees andenjoyed our lunch in the nice 70 degree weather.  it was really nice for a change.

you know, i have worked numerous places in my lifetime where there are numerous female employees.  and i realize where there are women, there will be cattiness.  but i guess the older i get, the more i notice it.  there is so much backbiting, whispering, and gossiping going on at work.  i have to admit, i have been a part of it as well, but when i stand back and observe it from a distance, i realize just how juvenile it is.  i pray that God will help me stop involving myself in this petty pastime, as well as help those around me stop. 

i am still waiting for more ghost stories to come in before i make an entry with them.  i only have 3 so far.  i thought more people would have some experiences and be willing to share them.  if i don't get anymore in the next day or so, i will probably go ahead and do the entry.  SO HURRY!!!!

i have been playing around on the caption site again and have decided that every entry i make, i will add one.  i also added one to my sidebar in the "about me" section.  i am like achild with a new toy, so just overlook me until this passes, lol.

THIS ENTRY'S PIC:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some reason I had thought that in the US you were already "digital"  Over here we are gradualy being changed over it has taken about 4 years I think each year another area goes digital..I think our area goes in 2010 or maybe it is 2012..London will be the last area, I had to buy a new TV last year and it is already digital ready but also gets the analogue signal however the man who installed it for me discovered if I had a stringer ariel I could get a digital signal...so thats what I have I do not think it is better at all..the signal often breaks down just for a few secs at a time but it does interupt things. I didn't know about the stars having to alter their apperance....what a pity that peopel are so impressed by looks.  Love Sybil x

Anonymous said...

Same conversion is happening in the UK, Regina. Think you're best off with a conversion-box if your present TV is still working OK. No need to shell out big $$$ then. Stars? Do I have time for them?

Anonymous said...

This whole conversion thing is crazy to me - it makes no sense.  I guess we are okay since we have Dish Network, so I'm told.

I will try to get my ghost story to you in the next day.
Lisa